Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

I've never told a boyfriend I am bipolar...

I am a 33 year old woman diagnosed with Bipolar 2. It has been a long, bumpy road but for the last 6 years or so I have been in a fairly manageable state. I take Cymbalta, Lamictal and Ritalin. Occasionally I add in Abilify if I feel a depression coming on. Mostly I can handle my symtoms and recognize triggers and avoid them, etc. I am divorced and have a 10 year old son which I have full custody of.

I have had a few serious relationships since my divorce. I have, after a time, told the boyfriend I take medication for depression... I have never uttered the word "bipolar". Bipolar can have such a negative reaction that I fear scaring them away. Is this okay or am I wrong in not being completely truthful? I feel I am mostly truthful since depression is my major symptom.

thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 31st, 2013
I know how you must feel about revealing your illness, but please tell him. The quicker may be the better. I dealt with my Bp bf all wrong because I had no idea he was Bp for months. How long have you been together?
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
I'm actually single right now. I am just wondering when/if/how to tell a new boyfriend I am bipolar. It seems like that it has such a bad rep and I feel like potential boyfriends will run when they hear that I'm bipolar.
|