Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

I tripped over my dog , Possible MCL tear?

User Profile
I am a 24 year old girl and today I tripped over my dog and twisted my right knee in the process, slowly falling to the ground. I didn't hear a pop, but it felt like it was either a dislocation or a Patellar Subluxation. I was able to put my knee back in place once I fell to the ground. I was able to stand up and put weight on my knee. I was able to limp to the couch, but it was painful. I elevated my knee and have been applying ice on and off.

I am able to flex and extend my knee, but experience minor pain when I do. I can walk, but experience minor pain. The pain is located on the inner side of my knee. I did not notice any bruising, swelling or deformity in comparison with my left knee. Could this be an MCL tear/injury? I've had knee problems in the past. When I was 11 I had a surgery called Epiphysiodesis where the doctor scraped the growth plate on each side of my right knee. In the past, I've dislocated my knee before, so I'm wondering if this is the same thing.

So my question is: what can I do in addition to RICE and when is a good time to see a doctor? Also, what do you think I did to my knee. I can provide more information if necessary.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2014
Especially eHealthy
Sorry for your injury.

If the discomfort is directly over the MCL, then it is probably a sprain.

However, you do have a history of patellar dislocation (a "knee dislocation" is usually a patellar dislocation as a true knee dislocation reqires the rupture of three ligaments, a very significant problem). So, an injury to the retinaculum, which holds the kneecap in place, could also cause some pain on the side of the patella.

If you want to know exactly what has happened, you would need to see an orthopedic surgeon.

By the way, your epiphysiodesis should not cause you any problems as an adult.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2014
Gaelic

Thank you for the prompt reply and helpful answer. Maybe this is just a minor sprain. I am still experiencing pain today, but not nearly as much as yesterday.

Right now, my knee is elevated with a cold pack and that seems to help. I went on a few errands earlier and wore an ace bandage (spiral method) for support. With the ace bandage, I was able to walk almost normally.

Ibuprofen has been helping with the pain as well. I took two tablets before heading out today.

What usually causes patellar dislocation? The last time this occurred was about 6 or 7 years ago.
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....