Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

I thought I Was Dying, extremely over reactive gut?

I am a 26 year old male. It all started when I was 18 years old graduating from high school. I began to have abdominal pain and minor bouts of diarrhea. I thought it was just a virus or just going through a phase, but after a month I had enough and went in to see a gastroenterologist. I had blood tests run, an ultrasound of my adbdomen, and finally a colonoscopy. After all the tests my doctor said that I had “minor” IBS and that I would be fine. After speaking with the doctor I felt better knowing that I would be fine but in the back of my head I knew something was not right.
I went off to college for 5 years and the symptoms continued to get worse and worse, I saw a few other doctors along the way and they said that it is just the IBS you are “fine” just cut back on drinking and eating junk food/bad food. It got to the point towards the end of college where if I went out drinking than I would have extreme pain in the abdomen area/bad diarrhea so I began to cut back on the drinking and bad foods. Also my stools slowly started to become loose. I began to just not be myself and I knew something was wrong in the back of my head. But what more could I do besides a colonoscopy? I also started to experience frequent urination that got worse over time and also muscle spasms and heart palpitations that also got worse. My doctor said it was just “stress” and told me to cut back on any caffeine you may be consuming.
These symptoms progressively got worse over time but I was still able to live a moderately normal life until one day about a year after I graduated from college. At about 1:00AM in the morning I remember waking up from sleeping on the couch and quickly walking to bed. As soon as I laid down on my stomach I suddenly felt very light headed and queezy. I got very faint, my heart rate shot to what felt like 150bpm, I was sweating profusely, had scary heart palpitations, and I thought this was it my life was ending tonight. I got very close to passing out but never lost consciousness. My girlfriend at the time rushed me to the hospital and they did blood work and a cat scan of my head. I spent about half the night there and at the end of it the doctor said that I was free to leave and thought it was probably stress that triggered it and gave me no explanation. After that day I started noticing awful reactions to certain foods like sugar, white carbs, alcohol, eating excessively, and even exercise. I was having awful heart palpitations, feeling dizzy, was not able to think clearly, my lymph nodes became swollen and would get worse after eating the above referenced foods, and my heart would randomly jump to 130-15bpm. I got random bouts of dizziness after changing elevations quickly.
One day for lunch at work about a week after the first trip to the ER I consumed one single beer and immediately I started feeling dizzy and wound up going to the emergency room again that night. The same symptoms as the first trip to the ER happened and the doctor ended up saying basically the same thing. By the way it has been about a year since that second trip to the ER and I have not had a single drink since then. Shortly after the first trip to the ER I began seeing several doctors. The first doctor I saw was my general practitioner. He did extensive blood work and said everything looked normal and that it was probably stress and he recommended me to a cardiologist, endocrinologist, and even a psychologist! The second one I saw was a cardiologist in which I had a stress test done, several EKG’s, too much blood work, and also an ultrasound of my heart. Everything checked out fine and he said it was probably just “stress” you were experiencing and that you just need to relax. I proceeded to see another cardiologist and had the same tests done in which he told me that it was again just stress and that I was fine. Now I moved on to see two endocrinologists in which I did all the blood work in the world it felt like. I got tested for thyroid problems and everything and I got the same response from all the other doctors. I proceeded to see a gastroenterologist where he did extensive blood work and tested for chrons, any inflammation and various other diseases. I told him everything and he literally told me to take pepto bismol and that I was fine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. At this point all I wanted was a doctor to give me some concrete answers and tell me something besides stress is causing all of this. On to another gastroenterologist. I went to the Medical Center in Houston, TX one of the best hopitals in the country. They did a stool sample, a cat scan of my abdomen, and extensive blood work. After all those tests they said everything was normal and that you’re symptoms were over a broad range of organ systems so they basically could not give me any answers. I have seen 7 doctors in 3 months at this point but hey who is counting. After eating anything at this point I just don’t feel right. My symptoms after seeing the 7th doctor include: heart palpitations, muscle spasms, swollen lymph nodes(gets worse after eating), tight chest(gets after eating), loose stools, occasional diarrhea, brain fog, loss of appetite, constipation, dizziness after sudden elevation changes, sleep loss, ringing in ears, and loss of weight. I went from being 175 pounds to 140 pounds without even trying. All of these symptoms get worse after eating, especially after sugar, junk food, starches, and alcohol. The only thing that made me feel slightly better was keeping an extremely strict diet. The more I researched the more I thought that this was a gastro related nervous system disorder so I saw a neurologist and he said that the gut is lined by the nervous system and that I had an extremely over reactive gut. He prescribed me clonazepam’s and said this would help calm my gut. I thought this was the last thing I wanted because I thought it would probably make me worse or it would just be a band-aid and not cover the real issues at hand. Nonetheless I took them for a few weeks to just try and keep sane because I was desperate and then got off of them quickly. They did not solve any real problems.
It has been almost a year now since that first trip to the emergency room and my symptoms have gotten slightly better but they are still there and the only things that have helped me has been to keep an extremely strict diet. Right not all I want is some answers. I try hard to keep a positive attitude but sometimes it is extremely hard and I get really down on myself. All of my friends seem so happy and healthy and I cannot say the same for myself. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? This is not stress or IBS we are talking about here. Please if there is anyone out there that has any insight to what is going on with me or a possible doctor referral that could help me out please respond to this anyting helps. I apologize for the lengthy post but I can not go my whole life without knowing what is wrong with me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

Based on your history, you are having more emotional and psychological issues as a result of stress and this might be the cause of your symptoms, presenting as Irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel ‎syndrome IBS, is a functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal ‎pain or discomfort with ‎alterations in ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and / or diarrhea).‎

IBS does not cause ‎any permanent damage or ‎‎any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress ‎affecting an ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎individuals work, ability to travel and attend social ‎‎events.‎

IBS is actually a diagnosis of exclusion, and should be considered as possible cause only if all other possible medical conditions have been ruled out.

The history of weight loss, anxiety, are more likely due to anxiety and you need to consult with a psychiatrist for proper behavior management and control of your anxiety.

Once this is controlled, your symptoms due to Irritable bowel syndrome would be reduced.

But for the time, being your symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications ‎‎(laxatives, antidiarrheals, ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎antispasmodics, or antidepressants). You may consult a gastroenterologist for such prescriptions.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.