Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

i think my 2 year old son has autism

My son is now 2yrs and 3 months and hes only just started to use a few words such as "how are you" see ya, hiya, no, sit which are all learned from my conversations. He doesn't say mommy or daddy. Or anything close. Has repetitive behavior like spinning thr wheel of his toy cars it any wheel he is around be it toys chairs or bicycle. Eats like a horse none stop. When ee are out he tends to get excited by everything tho we go out alot and when walkin looks side ways and tends to bump into things. Doesn't use a spoon or anything prefers hand feeding. Doesn't sleep thru the night easily agitated. I've been to see a speech therapist and shes refereed us to a peadiatrician and she also thinks he might have a mild case of autism. Today he has had a blood test to check if he has pica and to check his genes. He looks like any normal child. Someone help please
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
cheeriobaby,

Autism is "the" disorder of the times. The definition of autism has been expanded so much that is now includes many children, which in the past, would have just been considered "unique". The development and habits of small children is so wide and varied, that it is really hard to say what "normal" milestones and activities should be (there are so many standardized “instruments” (mental, physical, emotional, social examinations and scales) to test children’s development out there right now).

Autism is no longer considered one condition, but is now called autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which includes a whole host of conditions.

Yes, there are some milestones that all children are supposed to reach by certain ages, but even with these, many "normal" children are outside of the standards when young, and end up doing very well as adolescents and adults.

While it used to be thought that autism was rare, the definition has been so broadened that the incidence of autism is now listed as 1 child in 88 has the disorder. That would be considered a very common disorder.

This broadening can have many effects: One, it can get more money for the disorder; It could bring in more research; It can provide extra help in school for children; It can provide help/education to parents; It can worry parents that their child is somehow now abnormal and is going to have problems the rest of his/her life (which may not be true).

If you Google “Incidence of autism, CDC), you can get a link to the CDC website on autism, with the statistics, incidence, diagnosis, and risk factors for the disorder. On this website, in the diagnosis section, it does state that children as young as two can reliably be diagnosed with ASD. But, when reading the summary for that statement, the article states that it is reliable if the patient scores high enough on the instruments at both the age of 2 and age 9.

Again, autism used to be considered a rare disorder decades ago, but over the past decade it has had its definition broadened to include a spectrum of like disorders under the umbrella of ASD. True autism, where the patient is profoundly disabled is still quite rare. As stated in the CDC website, “The majority (62%) of children the ADDM (Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring) Network identified as having ASDs did NOT have intellectual disability.”

Continue to work with your son’s pediatrician. Again, many children with ASD do just fine. Some need some help in certain aspects of their life (social, emotional, mental, psychological, etc). But, very rarely are children disabled by autism.

Wishing you and your son the best. Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: HealthAnge 

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2013
I feel what you're going thru. Its hard to watch as a parent. You may want to look into if your state has any programs. Here in Ohio we have Help Me Grow. Its a free service and they come to the home and work with your child. My son has been in it since he was 2. Hes doing a lot better, although his speech is delayed BIG time, less than 15 words. He'll be co-treated with OT and Speech therapy.

You've go to be your childs advocate. Research and ask questions, lots of Whys?
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...