Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

I think my little brother has an eating dissorder ??

User Profile
Hi everyone,

I have an 18 year old brother and for as long as i can remember he has had issues with food. He spends way to long in the toilet after meals and is so fussy with food. We go out of our way to get him food he likes. Even when he has food he like even something small it takes him ages to eat it and hardly ever finishes a meal. He has often just forgotten to eat...I would ask him at around 4pm did he have lunch and he would say no.I have noticed during dinner he would sneak away from the table with his plate and clean it off before we could see if he even ate any.I know he eats junk food (multi packs of bars and crisps) and alot of energy drinks. I don't know if it is a teenager thing but im worried about his health and how to go about the issue with him... any advise would be amazing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2012
It's a common thing for people with eating disorders to still eat "junk food", sometimes making them think then, that they couldn't possibly have an eating disorder. You noticing him spending time in the bathroom after meals is a top sign of bulimia, as you've probably already guessed. Then him sneaking the food away so that he doesn't have to eat it, is a common factor of anorexia. This is not uncommon. People often have a mix of 2 or more eating disorders, for example, starving themselves when they can, but when they are forced to eat, make themselves throw it up afterwards. Personally, I don't think this sounds like just a "teenager thing". Obviously it's raised enough concern that you've noticed, and are asking for help; I think that says something right there. Your brother may or may not technically have an eating disorder, but it sounds like he could be well on his way to one. Seeing as he's an adult, it's may be a little harder, as you can't just go talk to his school guidance counsler. If you're not comfortable confronting him about it, or if you're still not sure yet, I would advise you to maybe ask your physician about it. Tell him/her what you've written here, and that you're concerned for your brother (or, you could refer to him as simply a "friend" of yours). See what the doctor says. You could also ask other adults, such as his girlfriend,if he has one. pull her aside when he is not around, and ask if she's noticed anything. If she (or whoever you're talking to) has even the slightest concern that you do, then chances are better that your concerns are valid. In the meantime, read read read. Do as much research as you can, and learn as much about eating disorders as you can. Also:
"If you or a loved one has bulimia (or any other ED)...

Call the National Eating Disorders Association’s toll-free hotline at 1-800-931-2237 for free referrals, information, and advice. "
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....