Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

I think my bulimia may be linked to ADHD.

i've suffered from bulmia since I was a teenager, I'm now in my mid 20's. I've come a long way.. I hardly purge at all anymore (sometimes I go months, almost whole years, without an incident and when I do have them they are very few and far between).. and I maintain a very healthy weight 135lbs 5'7. I don't want to be super skinny, I desire to only be a healthy weight. When I do purge it's from guilt of making poor eating choices or mostly feeling far too full. I just have these compulsive urges to over eat often, and every once in a while I give into them.

I started seeking treatment when I was 18 and saw a psychologist and psychiatrist. they prescribed me a few different antidepressants which didn't change my binge eating and made things worse by causing me to have suicidal thoughts. Terrified, I stopped them immediately... and convinced myself I could fix my problem on my own without drugs.

Years have passed now, and I have come a long way without medication by exercising, doing yoga, eating right, reading tons of books on the subject and praying.. but I still seem to have a lot of problems that I can't fix on my own. I've been doing research and I think I may have ADHD..I've always done poor academically but everyone always just said "She's really smart, she's just lazy" to explain my lack of motivation.. I even dropped out of college because I felt no matter how hard I tried to concentrate school just never was for me. I fight daily with anxiety, I have an impulsive personality, unorginized and often get in trouble for talking too much in the work place, my boss is constantly reminding me to focus. I feel that my impulsiveness is causing me to binge eat, also the excessive chatter I have going on in my head causes me anxiety and depression not to mention I get horrible sleep paralysis from exhaustion after staying up late with my mind racing. Could it be possible that my bulimia and anxiety are related to ADHD and could drugs that are for treating ADHD possibly help with my problems or worsen them?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 13th, 2011
I have never really thought about this link before, but it seems possible. On the other hand, it is important mentally not not believe this kind of thing until you have proof otherwise you are falling in to a trap.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...