Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

I think my boyfriend is Bipolar. How should I bring it up?

We have been dating for almost 2 years now. He USED TO visit an anger management coach, which is why I didn't really notice much of a posibility of Bipolar Disorder. (This was months ago. He stopped going to him in May I believe.) But in the past month, things have been getting extremely bad with his mood swings. It's clear that he has extreme mood swings. So, after he angrily threw a hamburger at the wall for, what I understand as, no reason, I decided to do some research. I've come to the conclusion he may have some form of Bipolar disorder.

This isn't the first time I've thought about it. His dad also gets mood swings, and I've read that it is possibly genetic. So I'm pretty sure that he may have it.

But, it is a touchy issue to tell someone else, no matter how close you are, that they might have something. I don't want to start anything. I am just looking out for him, so I don't want him to take it the wrong way.

I'm willing to stay strong and do anything I can to help him and make this relationship stand through this. I don't blame him for his outbursts, and I'd like him to have a better quality of life than to be constantly dealing with mood swings.

Any tips on how I should confront him about his possible bipolar disorder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi VT123.....Why confront him with something he already knows...This will just make him madder...What you are seeing is what you will be getting...Oh, medication may help, but if he was seeing someone for this then he does have a problem and he is well aware of it...

Sometimes we have to accept that we can't change what we can't change....For some of us this can be one of the most difficult lessons in life that we will ever learn...Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?