Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

I think I'm bipolar, but I can't afford treatment. I need help.

I don't even know where to begin.

I'm 49 years old. I work as a mental health professional, so I may just be wrongly diagnosing myself, but I don't think so.

Right now, I feel like my life is unraveling and I'm crashing. I work 2 part-time jobs. Six years ago I divorced my husband after 22 years of marriage. I quit my government job making $60,000/year because I had fallen 'in love' with my boss and couldn't stand the pain of working every day with someone who would never love me. I sold my home and used my half of the divorce settlement to move 1200 miles back to my home state. Then I went back to graduate school to become a counselor, while living off the financial aid and working full-time. I got my master's degree in 2010, and got a well-paying job straight out of school. But I quickly became overwhelmed and quit that job after 7 months.

Now I have two part-time jobs that net about $21,000/year. My home has been foreclosed on, but I signed a deed-for-lease contract. I cannot find another full-time job with benefits, so I am unable to afford testing and treatment for bipolar disorder, and I am just barely able to summon the energy to make it to work each day. I'm at the end of my rope. If I didn't work with children, I would find some way to kill myself and make it work this time. But, I don't want to traumatize the kids I work with. I don't have the energy to seek help anymore. I just want to get on meds so badly, because I feel like it will give me back the ability to function. But I can't afford the meds.

Does anybody have some ideas on what I can do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Hi BRPP....What makes you think you are bipolar?...I know there are different kinds and symptoms, but what you talk about shows none of these...Sure you fell in love with someone you couldn't have and made some mistakes along the way...But a lot of this is life...Working as a mental health professional can have it's own traumas....Often your imagination can work overtime and do more harm than good...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied March 18th, 2013
Hi Caroline, thanks for your reply. I agree about the imagination working overtime. I'm feeling much better today. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2013
Experienced User
BRPP I hope things are better for you today. I'm sure you have run into much information out there lately. There is one thing that is constantly growing in popularity, but has been studied since the 1800s.

This effects every disorders you can name at some degree, research Glutathione. You will find it very interesting in your concern.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...