I think i have mumps. One side of my head behind the jaw is starting to swell/bulge and i need to get this cured fast since it's our exam this week (in 2 days!) and i can't miss the final exams. What should i do to treat my "mumps" immediately?

Regards,
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cyrust0h
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Mumps is a highly contagious viral infection with an incubation period of 14-18 days from exposure to onset of symptoms. The duration of the disease is approximately 10 days.

No specific therapy exists for mumps.

Treatment is focused on relieving symptoms until your body’s immune system manages to fight off the infection.
Get plenty of bed rest until your symptoms have passed.
Warm or cold packs for the parotid gland tenderness and swelling is helpful.
Eat foods that don't require a lot of chewing, such as soup, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs.
Pain relievers including acetaminophen [Tylenol] and / or ibuprofen [Advil] are helpful to relieve the symptoms.

Methods to prevent spread of the infection: -
1. The best way to prevent spread of the infection is to - Stay away from school, college or work until five days after the onset of your symptoms.
2. Wash your hands regularly, using soap and water.
3. Always use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze. Throw the tissue in a bin immediately afterwards.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: bacterial, head
Quick Reply
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.