Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

I take amitriptilyne, buspirone, and propanolol ...

User Profile
Hi, I take amitriptilyne, buspirone, and propanolol for anxiety and insomnia. my question is about propanolol. I only take it to help control physical anxiety symptoms ( such as shakiness,flushing etc.) on monday thru friday in the morning before I go to work. I take 40 mg in the morning, and a few times a month if I am going to have a particularly stessful or anxiety inducing day, I will take 80 to 100mg propanolol in 2 split doses. I have been doing this for about 8 months now. My question is will continuing to take propanolol like this be bad for my heart? What concerns me is that I don't take it on the weekends ( not really needed), and I have gotten out of shape and want to start exercising again. I worry that the on/off use of it could be bad for my heart? I also worry that if I start exercising again that it will cause daily and weekly changes in my heart rate that could be dangerous, what do you think?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A21050
Hello.

Propranolol is associated with a number of cardiovascular side effects including low blood pressure, slowing of heart rate, etc. But if these side effects will happen with each case can't be predicted. However, with careful clinical evaluation and a few necessary investigations by your GP, you might get a better idea of your chances of getting long term side effects of Propranolol. The weekend vacations for Propranolol do not seem to be affecting the long term outcome significantly. As far as exercising is concerned, Propranolol might help you as it helps keep the heart rate and blood pressure within normal range. You may have to take some precautions while exercising such as maintain adequate water balance, avoid strenuous exercise, etc. Regular cardiac monitoring might help you catch any signs of propranolol side effect at early stages.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.