Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

I still smile and say everything's fine.

User Profile
I've been depressed for most of my life, as long as i can remember really. I no longer feel like there is any reason for me to live, there is almost nothing in my life that's worth living for, i have no hope, no future, no desire for anything anymore. I feel almost nothing these days, no joy, no happiness, nothing good, just an overwhelming sadness and loneliness that's slowly killing me. I've lost most of my attachments to this world, i no longer care about family or friends, i've all but given up on finding someone to love, how can someone love me when i hate everything about who and what i am, how can you love something that doesn't know how to love in return. Everyday i wear a mask to hide the way i feel from everyone, i've been doing it for so long that it's become just like breathing, no matter how much pain i'm in i'll still smile and say everything's fine. I don't want to be like this any more, i don't want to feel this way, but there's nothing i can do.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2017
Depression Answer A62227
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

The symptoms that you have described are suggestive of depression.

It is characterized by continuous depressed mood or loss of interest in activities.But the good thing is that depression is curable.

So my sincere advice is to consult a psychiatrist at the earliest and start with the treatment. The three most commonly indicated treatments for depression are psychotherapy, medication (antidepressants), and electroconvulsive therapy.

Antidepressants show their effect within first week or two of use and complete benefits may seen after two to three months. In addition psychotherapy sessions with a psychiatrist are also important.

Hopefully you should improve but you have to start treatment as early as possible.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.