Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

I still have swollen lymph nodes

User Profile
I got sick 5.5 weeks ago. Half my face swelled up, fevers over 103.5 for 10 days. Lymph nodes in neck also swelled. The other half of my face was fine. I was admitted to the hospital and took vancomycin, and another antibiotic which I believe was an IV form of amoxicillin. The swelling in my face and around my eye went down. Discharges from my eye stopped. The swelling in my neck did not decrease. I have taken augmentin, vancomycin, clindamycin, avalox, and bactrim in the past month. I still have swollen lymph nodes just below my jaw. Hard balls can be felt there, and they are moderately painful. The swelling comes out below my jaw and makes my neck come out farther then my face. There have been at least a half dozen cultures attempted looking for bacteria, and all have been unsuccessful. I had a CT scan about a month ago, which only showed massive infection. Next week I will have another CT scan to see if the lumps have changed. It's been more than a month. Suggestions?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2011
Lymphoma Answer A26275
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.I am glad to help you out. In view of the enlarged glands being present in the neck for such a long time and not responding to the commonly used antibiotics, it makes sense to take a fine needle aspiration or a biopsy from one of the glands and look for tubercle bacilli.

Tuberculosis is always a possibility in the case of the enlarged glands of the neck. The second possiblity is a tumor of the lymph nodes like a lymphoma. Please consult a physician for the same. I sincerely hope that helps Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.