Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

I still feel dreamish. Is the medicine not working?

About a month an a half ago I started thinking about this panic attack with derealization I had when I was a teen and Bam! I started having panic attacks. So bad I had to be rushed to the hospital. And I bacame disoriented and feeling like I was loosing my mind. The doctor gave me Xanax and send me home. The next day I was worse and stayed like that for about a week and finally went back to the doctors. He gave me a low dose of Zoloft and refered me to a psychiatrist. I explain to her that I was feeling confused, dream like, disorited, and that so much panicked caused me depression. I couldn't eat, sleep, and do anything I love to do. She told me This was Panic disorder with some type of Ptsd and that I became depressed because of the panic and also had derealization. She told me to up my dose of Zoloft to 50mg in a week. I have been taking Zoloft for 3 weeks and 10mg on Zoloft for 11 days. I had some good days but I still feel dreamish. I also can function better and I got my appetite back but I'm still panicked. For the past 3 days I feel like I'm back to square one. Panic attacks coming and last night I took a Xanax and I woke up today feeling extra weird. Making the dream feeling worse. Almost like groggy and alert at the same time. I just want to know if this is normal. Is the medicine not working? I need some serious reassurance. I want my life back. I don't know what to do. I feel terrible.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2018
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i believe you need to give zoloft sometime and also continue being in touch with your doctor and have some psychotherapy sessions. The dose will be slightly titrated with the passage of time and increased and eventually you will have improvement in your symptoms.

Take care.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Tags: Depression, ptsd
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.