Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

i sound hoarse again, a symptom of a recurrence?

User Profile
I was diagnosed with Papillary thyroid cancer with a follicular variant in 3/11....had TT 3/11 and 175mci RAI 5/11.The only symptom I ever had was right ear pain and a hoarse voice. I've had sever hypocalcemia ever since. Recently my voice has started to sound hoarse again and today my left ear started hurting quite a bit. Could this be a symptom of a recurrence? I had a scan in Nov which showed a few nodes in the area of my left jaw but was told they looked "OK". Or is this most likely a virus?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A32951
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you have underwent total thyroidectomy followed by Radioactive ablation of the thyroid gland, for papillary thyroid cancer.

In such surgeries, it is common to have neurological damage of nerves supplying the larynx or the voice box. Hence it can result in hoarseness of voice, which you have now.

Hypocalcemia post thyroidectomy is due to removal of the parathyroid gland, during the surgery. In case the parathyroid glands have been reimplanted back, during the surgery, it should have no long term issues.

You should ideally have a follow up with your treating doctors who can examine you and provide proper help and advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.