Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

I sneeze after eating, since i was a kid

User Profile
Hello

I am a 22 year old female. I have always noticed that I sneeze after eating, since i was a kid. Usually sneeze from five to fifteen times, sometimes more, but I never gave it too much importance because it wasn't that often but lately it happens every single time I eat. I went to my college Doctor and he told me that it was probably some type of food I was eating but I don't think it's the type of food because it happens with different types and amounts of food, from eating just a candy to a huge salad or even drinking some juice.

I am worried that it could get worse over time. Also I've been smoking for six years now, maybe it has something to do with that.

I would be grateful for any help you are able to provide.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2014
Allergies Answer A46657
Dear!

you might be having a rare benign condition called photic sneezing reflex. One of the trigger is stomach fullness. these patient usually stop eating not because of stomach fullness but sneezing. There is no risk due to sneezing and no current treatment is available. its just cause this annoyance. The condition your doctor was referring was gustatory rhinitis but it occurs after certain food not all food and that is treatable by talking allergy drugs. But your one is not treatable. just try some local non medical methods by searching internet which can helps you with controlling sneezing. Google them. there are so many that i cant post all of them.

Hope it helped

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.