I have been smelling pickles off and on for about 1-2 weeks. I don\'t have any pickle jars open or anything pickled. I smell it in my bedroom, I try to smell around the room, and can\'t find it. Yesterday I was at my friend\'s house, pickles. Nope, no one ate pickles. I smelled my shirt, his shirt, nothing. & tonight again I\'m smelling pickles.

This year I have had allergy problems - post nasal drip and I am currently on an antihistamine that is a nasal spray. I never get sinus infections but this year I\'ve had 2.

It seems like it has to be something related to my nose or my sinuses, but I don\'t know what to do. It could be a worse smell but it seems odd.

My house had mold in it earlier in the year I thought maybe the mold was back, but when I smelled it at my friend\'s house that kinda eliminated that theory.

Do you have any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
tayschro76,

Medications have been known to cause abnormal tastes and smells in some patients. You check out the medications you are taking currently.

There are also other causes of this. Smelling something that is not there is called an olfactory hallucination or phantosmia.

Just as some patients with migraines get visual auras, some patients actually get gustatory auras, where they taste and/or smell things that are not there. And, in some patients, they do not actually get a headache with the aura.

Another cause of phantosmia is temporal lobe epilepsy. Though is this case, the smell usually only lasts for several seconds. But, it can last longer.

So, in any patient where a routine cause of phantosmia cannot be found, he/she should probably be referred to a neurologist for an evaluation. Good luck.
|

replied August 26th, 2011
Hi there,
My friend experienced this, you probably won't believe the outcome!! The smell was emanating from her belly button! She had obviously overlooked it from a hygiene perspective. Just get a cotton bud or your finger and gently put it in your belly button and check if the smell correlates to what you have been smelling.

If it is your belly button it may need some hygiene attention.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
cancer or not
I have a strong smell in my noise and it has lasted for several weeks. It gets worse in hot or steamy places. No signes of infection anywhere. My ENT says it is a phantom smell amd has ordered a brain scan. This came on suddenly. I am having balance and short term memory problems, also, drainage from my noise.....Any ideas out there???
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....