Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

I Need to Understand My Bipolar Daughter Please.

I have been estranged from my daughter who told me once that she was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. She also has Systemic Lupus. I noticed last year before our communication ceased that a few stories she told me were not true. These were nothing consequential but when they came up in a conversation she told me I must be nuts. My memory is fine. She has cut me off and it was so sudden! Months after we talked about those stories she told me. It was Mother's Day of 2016 and her son was scheduled to have surgery. I saved money to go travel and visit. She balked very suddenly and she stopped texting me. My heart hit the floor. I have discussed this with all the friends on another forum devoted to rejected parents. Bipolar is such a complex thing.

My question: What emotions go through the mind of a person who is Bipolar when they decide to just stop communicating with someone who they were close to? How should I handle this? Advice from this source might help me more. I wish I could get inside of her head but I might not understand what is going on.

Jeannie3099
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and would like to help

When a bipolar patient cuts off him or herself it's usually a sign that they are going through a depressive phase which can last for months.
During this phase they lack energy to do anything even day to day routine. They feel empty ,sad and don't enjoy anything. They won't be able to focus or remember things.

You need to be patient with your daughter, as coping with a depressive episode can be very hard.
You can reach out to someone who is more close your daughter and ask them for help to talk to the patient as talk therapy is really important.
If your daughter doesn't want to do anything ,don't force or rush her.
Make sure she takes her medicines on time and is under care of mental health care provider.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.