Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

I'm worried about a strange lump near my anus

I'm a nineteen year old male. I noticed an itch a few days ago after having a bowl movement. Thinking it would pass, I ignored it. After it persisted for about a day I investigated and found a dark lump very close to my anus. I've never had a major health problem and this worries me very much. It appears to be dark green in color and is quite sensitive to touch. Though mostly it only causes discomfort when I move while seated or go to stand up. I can not really afford a visit to a doctor as I'm only working part time. So if it's something I can treat myself, I would prefer to. My questions are, What is this thing, what should I do, and should i be worried. As of right now I'm terrified. Please help me, thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
IsVeryScared,

The coloration of the lump is concerning. Dark green in color could be from an infection (pus) or could actually be stool under the skin.

You may be developing a fistula, where a tunnel forms from the rectum or anus to the outside skin (usually coming out somewhere around the anus).

Though some references say that these do not necessarily need treatment, that they can be "lived with", most people desire to have them treated. That would require being seen by a colorectal surgeon.

You could try using a warm Sitz bath, to see if you can get the tract to open and drain. This would alleviate some of the discomfort and may allow the tract to heal. But, it would not "cure" the problem and it may recur over and over.

You really should probably see a physician for an evaluation. If you live in a large city, which has a medical school, they often take cases pro-bono. Also, by law in the US, an ER cannot turn you away, just because you cannot pay.

Again, you should probably have this looked at. If you develop a fever, chills, malaise, etc, these are signs of a systemic infection, and then you would have to be seen. Good luck.
|

replied September 30th, 2011
Thank you. It only appeared green I think in the state of my hysteria. Today it actually kind of popped. There has been some bleeding but its clotting normally. The coloration has even shifted back to a normal skin hue. It's very weird, it's acting like a Blood Blister. Does this mean I should attempt to bleed it out and cleanse it with peroxide? So far as it bleeds it actually reduces in size and as of right now its hardly noticeable except its only slightly elevated and has a spot where the blood has clotted. I'm not in such a hysteric state now that it seems to receding. No puss or unusual color in the blood. I have had an interesting effect with the peroxide. It didn't draw the blood but kind of lowered this 'lump'. Right now, I think I'll wait it out and see if there is any horrific or alarming change, but in all reality is just might have been an over glorified blood blister. I wasn't quite aware that one could get one that close to the anus. I had forgot to mention in my first post that it was only as big around as a pea and now its just a slight elevation. Still no discomfort, or anything like that. Do you think it's possible that it's a blister?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
IVS,

Anything is possible. It is more likely that the fistula "popped" and drained its contents, thus going down in size. It is common for a fistula to drain a little blood.

Some references say that it is okay to just treat these this way, as long as you don't have any other symptoms.

So, as long as it is decreasing is size, you have minimal discomfort, and it is not draining a lot, you can probably just watch and see how it does.

Now that there is no pressure on the lesion, it is probably healing. Just keep an eye on it, but if you develop a lot of pain, swelling, draining, then you may have to see someone. Otherwise, just watch it and keep the area clean.

Good luck.
|