Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

I'm meeting my stepsis and I don't know what to feel.

I will be meeting my stepsister for the first time next week and I don’t think it’s a good idea though. My mom got pregnant nine years ago while she was working abroad and she never said a word to us about that until now. She got impregnated by a foreign man who ran away after knowing her condition. She wants me to meet her daughter and I don’t know if I should be glad or get mad. I know she expects me to understand because I’m too old to feel bad about this matter. I just can’t help but feel a little upset. I think this is normal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 13th, 2018
Extremely eHealthy
I sympathize with your mom, who tried hard and was exploited. I'm thinking her remittances from abroad helped you and your aunt. Please don't hold her mistakes against her and try to be a good big sister too. There's a chance for a wonderful relationship if you handle it well.
|

replied October 27th, 2018
Accept your feelings and let go of expectations.
I think it is normal to feel upset. Secrets, I believe, are rarely good. Especially when it comes to families. I come from a family that has secrets. Secretes of pain and abuse, But I'll put that aside. I remember meeting my 1/2 sister when I was 29 years old. And oh I was jealous! It was so weird, I thought. I had no preconceived notions of her, not a clue what kind of person she is. I remember my dad talking about her with me when I was little. This didn't make her "real" to me. I was still the only girl amonget all my brothers, until I was 29. Anyway, if you accept your feelings you can begin to process them in ways more healthy than if you hide from or deny them. Accept and be open. Try to go into this without expectations and you won't be disappointed.
|
Quick Reply