Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

I'm 17 Just Graduated High school

User Profile
I'm 17 I'm about to be 18 in august. I'm 6 months older that my boyfriend and we are happily in love even though he still has one more year in high school. We have been talking about our future and I wanna have a baby with him but I'm not sure how to tell him. I'm also not sure how our parents would feel about us getting pregnant so early.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyrahU
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I think it's good that you are thinking about it first, but why do you want to have a baby so young? I know that the yearning to be a mom can be really strong, but do you have the desire to do anything else first, like go to college, have a career, get married, or just having fun? Are you sure you'll be okay with sitting at home with a 2-year-old while your friends go to college and go out partying when they're 21? You won't feel like you're missing out?

Beyond that, I know it's hard to imagine right now, but you're not going to be the same person in 5 or 10 years as you are right now and neither is your boyfriend. So many changes are going to happen to you mind and your heart. When I was 17, I really thought my boyfriend and I were made for each other. We went out for a year, but things changed when we left high school. We grew apart. I don't even know what country he's living in now, nor do I really care. I met someone else in college and we're getting married next year.

What I'm trying to say is, you don't know what your life is going to be like in a year when you're 18, let alone the rest of your life, so don't be so quick to make decisions you can't change. Babies are wonderful, but they can wait until you've lived your life and the same goes for your boyfriend. Even if you think you're ready, he may not be and it's not fair to him or the baby to pressure him. Otherwise, he will never be the dad or partner you want him to be.

Ultimately, you'll be an adult and it will be your decision, but I'm just speaking for your future self and asking you to think long and hard about what you really want your life to be for the next 5 years. Babies aren't all cuteness and love. They're a lot of work, sleepless nights, and stress. Are you ready for that? Also, do you think you'll be able to provide for the baby financially or would it be better for you both to get jobs and save some money for a few years so you can be sure that you can pay the bills?

Anyway, I hope you'll think about what I've said. I wish you all the best.
|
Users who thank MyrahU for this post: Airforce_Princess 

replied June 24th, 2011
No, now u just concentrate about your studies, dnt take any wrong decision.Your a adult still ur 18, you have a great future..First finish ur studies after that of course you will get married & you can think about it...
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied July 2nd, 2011
Hello,
You are so young, why want a child already? But either way you are the only one who can tell if you are ready to have a baby or not. I had my son when i was 16 and he was not planned and it was the hardest thing i have ever had to go threw, having a baby when you are older and both parents have steady jobs its hard to parent a new born baby but so young and trying to do everything its hard. i wouldn't change having him for the world. and as for your boyfriend being younger then you age is just a number darlin! and Your parents are always going to love you. but you have to be ready for them to be upset with the choices you make. and the chance that you may have to raise a baby on your own. you can be in such love but a baby changes everything. not only for the good but for the bad as well alot of young couples dont make it i know my ex and i sure didn't he left 4 months after my son was born and haven't seen him since. so write out a list Pros and Cons why you feel the need to have a baby so badly at this age. and if the pros out weigh the cons and you and your boyfriend feel you are ready well i guess you are going to be a mommy Smile Good Luck! Smile
|

replied July 3rd, 2011
hello,
i found myself in the same kinda situation when i was ur age, my girlfriend wanted to get pregnant because, she thought we were a match made in heaven ba after a pregnancy scare things fell apart, because during the period when she thought she was pregnant, she began to resent me. she started talking about all the things she cant do anymore and gradually we fell apart. babies are a huge challenge, although they are worth it, you've got to be financially sound and mentally prepared to deal with all the stress it comes with.so how bout you put this thought on hold for a couple more years, if you are infact in love baby or not you should still be together by then.
|

replied August 13th, 2011
I am 17, turning 18 in exactly 1 week. I had these same thoughts about one of my exes. He was absolutely Gorgeous!! he was perfect, my absolute dream guy down to a t. And i loved him so much! i gave him my V-card and everything. i thought we were a match made in Heaven. We dated for a long time and i fell head over heals for him, i love him sooo much. But he swore we could make it work for college since he would still be living at home anyway, and for about a month it worked. Then he fell out of love and broke my heart at 3 am after my senior homecoming dance. I was devastated. I thought we would get married some day and have really beautiful kids together! But college changed him. And as i am fast approaching it i am realizing that college is going to change me to. And it will change you to. Your boyfriend is too young for those changes yet and its impossible for him to keep up. Not only will that be a huge thing to consider but also... as my mom recently stated, you should go to college open and single, because you never know who you might meet. and you shouldn't limit yourself! thats what college is all about, having fun with new people! think about this logically, if you get pregnant now, not only are you screwing yourself out of the college experience,you are also screwing your boyfriends out of it too. and you are potetially losing your entire future. so wait. Wanting kids is normal. Most girls our age a long time ago would have already had 3 kids by now. this is normal feelings, but wait at least until you can experience the wonders of college. dont grow up to fast, im not saying never have kids with him, if you can make it work then props to you. and if you do, then have kids in the future. but now. that wouldnt be good for anyone
|

replied September 6th, 2011
i am 17 years old and i also want a baby not because i have found the perfect guy but because i practically raised my younger siblings and cousins, and i love children i am in college and i know it would be finacially a problem that is why i havent attempted to get pregnant i love kids and i do hate i need to wait to have them but i do and i am.... you should wait if yall are perfect together and will be together forever you will have plenty of time to have a bunch of babies
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....