Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

I'm falling into a hole and I can't pull myself out

I'm a 16 year old male in high school. I started cutting in January and its becoming a habit and I can't stop it. I cut more and more frequently. Even when I become intent and focused on stopping, something happens that makes me feel I need to cut again. Last night I cut because I became overwhelmed by anger and sadness and confusion and I took my razor and cut my wrist. When I cut, it isn't deep enough to make permanent scars, but there are still marks that bleed for a bit and last for a little while.
I can't go to anyone for help. All the people I've told don't help much and I feel like they don't care. My family is broken and I don't want them knowing at all. They've seen that I'm depressed, though, and I've gone to see a therapist once. Doing so helped, but apparently her schedule sucked, and now I'm gonna have to go see a new one. I don't know if this new one will help, but I want help now.
I've been depressed for a good portion of my life, but cutting is relatively recent. I know that doing it is bad, but I can't stop myself from doing it. It releases all my negative emotions but creates new ones soon after. I need the release, but I wish there was a different way to get it.
I need to stop but I can't stop myself.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tiffany4Life
|

replied April 16th, 2013
From what I can read, you are stuck in the hard to break cycle. You feel fine, then somehign happens, then you cut, then you feel fine, then you feel guitly, hten something happens and you cut, and so on and so forth.

I stopped seeing my counselor because she was only there once a week, and it was hard to get in. She didn't really help as much as she used to.
Depression can be made easier by medication. I don't like medication but I take it becaue it works., You could try a new sport since summer is coming, you can hang with friends more, be open to your mom about how you are feeling, don't just assume they know.

I am here to help if you need it.
TL
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....