Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

I'm afraid he will hurt himself.

User Profile
Hello! Recently my bipolar boyfriend broke off our relationship. It was rather sudden and unexpected, the same day I had committed myself to helping him work through his problems and be supportive to the best of my ability. He said he still loves me and cares about me but he needs to protect himself and has nothing more to give. He has a history of suicidal tendencies and self harm. I am very concerned that this isolation might be a first step to him harming himself. I have contacted his mother (he is living with her at the time) I told her that I was concerned and that I wanted to be kept in the loop if anything happens but got no response. I am very concerned for his well being, before I broke up with him he was spending more than 5 hours a day on his computer and is getting no support from his family. In fact he is helping to take care of two infant nephews! It's so much stress on him in his current state. I don't want to get a call that he is in the hospital. Sad I care for him deeply, I am so worried that he is continuing down into this depressed spiral. How can I support him and be there for him if he no longer contacts me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2014
It is so tough to want to help and not be able to. Especially when you can't get a response from his mother either. I don't think there is much you can do. I am so sorry for the pain you are going through, I know how hard it is. If he comes around to you again, be ready with a list of boundaries that you will not compromise. YOU have to protect YOURSELF, too. This is not something you should have to go through over and over. He needs to step up and get proper treatment. The parents of those children need to know, if you can possibly contact them. It can't hurt, and it might help.
|
Did you find this post helpful?