Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

I'll start sweating heavily and crave food, sugar rush?

Hi,
I am a 68 year male who enjoys pretty good health albeit I need to lose a fair bit of weight. I am active and walk everywear but would still like to lose around thre stone-currently 16.5.
My question is this, for the past five or six years I have experienced spasmodic attacks of what someone told me are 'sugar rushes'. I can be anywhere, walking, shopping, on a bus whatever and suddenly I'll start sweating heavily and crave food, anything not necessarily sweet items. Once I have eaten someone I am fine within minutes. My GP did not seem unduly concerned about this (to me) somewhat strange complaint and I am up to date with Cholestral and diabetes checks so they are not causing it. Ironically, my 27 year old Paramedic daughter also gets the same symptom from time to time? Can anyone offer any suggestions short of a silver bullet.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi vanhellsink and welcome to ehealth: Just as the rush hits you, turn it around...Change your thinking pattern...Go another route...Don't enjoy this pleasure that your brain is trying to get you to follow...Push is away....In time you can win, but like everything, it does take time...

I believe our brain and mind fuctions are not being explored as they should be....If you are in a habit of being fine in five minutes or so, then you are following what you think will happen...Change the course of your thinking...These are just my thoughts but they have sure worked well for me...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 20th, 2012
Hi Caroline,
Thanks for you thoughts but when hit by this 'urge' (for want of another term) I really do feel ill and would easily collapse if some food intake is not administered immediately. This is why I cannot understand the Doctor's not investigating it, especially given my age...albeit as I said, I am a very young/active 'old man'.
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....