Medical Questions > Relationships > Dating Forum

I like spending time with my girlfriend a little too much

So im in High School and Ive been going out with this girl for a while, we get along great and never have any problems, and i absolutley love spending time with her more than anything. But thats my problem when shes not around or we cant hang out I dont know what to do with myself, things i enjoyed before sound boring and are unappealing if she isnt involved. I still like spending time with my friends but id much rather spend time with her. just as an example, I thought i had everything planned out in my life too, I new exactly what I wanted, to go to the naval academy, and i felt pretty confident that that was what i wanted to do. Now im almost convinced i dont want to go because that would mean i wouldnt get to see her. I dont think this is healthy yet i love my relationship with my girlfriend but i feel like my future and friendships are being hurt as all I want to do is spend time with her. Sorry for rambling but i just dont know what to do next
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Supporter
well how does she feel about it?
|

replied April 1st, 2008
well the first thing i did was talk to her about it, and she actually helped me figure out what was actually wrong. I just had a lot of stress and i didnt connect the two. But she wants me to enjoy things other than spending time with her as she believes if i dont eventually we will have a fight and not enjoy our time together. SHe says she likes spending time with me too but that its important to her that i find other things i like just as much.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Supporter
I was like this with my bf, now fiance. ALL I wanted to do is spend time with him and if I didn't I would be sad. Like times he would go out with his friends. Eventually I just got to a point where I felt that I can't force him and I talked to him about it and he said he loves to spend time with me, but his friends too. Now we live together so he's trap!!! I'm just joking. How long have you two been dating? Usually in the begining of relationships it's like that for a while.
|

replied April 1st, 2008
4 months and its not that she doesnt want to spend time with me, i just cant think of anything id rather do more and I feel like im not taking advantage of oppurtunities because id rather spend time with her. i.e. before i asked her out I was looking for a summer program so that i might get a chance to visit a collee and find what sort of things i like. But all the programs were several weeks and after i asked her out i decided id rather see her than go to camp even though id been set on going to the camp before hand. She hasnt effected my grades, but we are both worried im isolating my self and not reaching out.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Supporter
I know how it can be when you're in love. You shouldn't let this get in the way of school. If you two plan on spending the rest of your lifes together you should know that you need to go to college to get a better job to support you and her. I know she would understand that. You just have to get into that mindstate that she'll always be around to spend time with.

i hope i'm kind of helping you out here! Confused
|

replied April 1st, 2008
im not saying i want to spend the rest of my life with her or that were in love, ive only been with her about 4 and known her for 5. Its just more that I wanted to do things before i was going out with her, i had plans for the near future and i am no longer intrested by them simply because it would mean i wouldnt be able to see her. should i give up on these things, i have tried and cant really give them up as i dont know what i really want. Im worried that i am being nearsighted.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Supporter
i say don't pass up your opportunites. what if you two don't last? then you'll most probably look back and wish you wouldn't taken those oppportunites that was available. you should think about it talk with a friend or your parents. follow your heart.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The tricky thing about high school relationships is that at the end of high school its the beginning of your life. Things can go either way, But I don't think you should ever make decisions about your future based off of a high school relationship. The way I see it, if its meant to last then it can handle some distance right?

I wouldn't be too upset about being confused at this point-- it may not have anything to do with your girlfriend. I changed my mind five times before I finally decided where I wanted to go after highschool, now that I'm here I've already changed my mind once and I'm still wondering if I'm where I want to be. So just make the decisions the best you can now, nothing is ever set in stone.

So you're getting a little dependent on her. You need to start finding things you like now. Go out with your friends. Get some new hobbies. There are a lot of things you can do.
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
thats pretty much exactly what she said, but i guess i needed to hear it twice. Thanks for all the advice!
|

replied April 9th, 2008
Experienced User
if you go into the military and you guys stay together and if shes one of the good women shes be there for you. unfortunately my boyfriend years before i met him was with someone who cheated on him when he was in the army. after that a year later he met me and was showing symptoms of being clingy. we would text all the time. it got to the point were it started interfiering with my job but we worked it out tho, he was still hurt a lil but i proved him i wasnt gonna hurt him. now that were living together i used to be clingy too lol but its all about trusting your partner. if you guys really want to get serious you.ll slowly get used to the fact tha you cant be together all the time. dont worry.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
i am having the same problem as the other guy, i always want to be with her, i am less motivated to do other things, and now my hobby (running, which is the main reason i can go to college) is less interesting, but i know why i am this clingy. i just graduated and know my college, she is a senior in high school, who may be going some place out of state. she is only the second girl i have ever had feelings for, the first moved out of state without telling me, i was crushed. i dont want it to happen again, and while i never want to leave her side, i couldnt handle another heartbreak.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
i am having the same problem as the other guy, i always want to be with her, i am less motivated to do other things, and now my hobby (running, which is the main reason i can go to college) is less interesting, but i know why i am this clingy. i just graduated and know my college, she is a senior in high school, who may be going some place out of state. she is only the second girl i have ever had feelings for, the first moved out of state without telling me, i was crushed. i dont want it to happen again, and while i never want to leave her side, i couldnt handle another heartbreak.
|
Tags: academy
Quick Reply