User Profile
So, I've been suffering from pretty severe anal and occassional vaginal/vulval yeast infections for almost a year now. I also have had IBS for almost two years, but which has gotten tons better over the last 4-6 months.

My symptoms include severe itching around the anus, but also pretty bad itching of the vulva, particularly on the clitoris. It's not everyday, but it's pretty regularly. It's so bothersome and I know that it can be harmful to my health (in what ways i'm not quite sure yet. info on this would also be appreciated).

What can I do? I've had this for quite a while now, so I'm sure the yeast has established quite a colony in my intestines. I know eating yogurt can help, and I've also heard of applying it topically, but what else can I do? I'm afraid of the long term effects this can have on my health and my body, and I just want it to go away. The only thing that I've found that has brought me any immediate relief is applying an antibiotic ointment (which i know just trap

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2010
Yeast Infection Answer A17618
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Worms are the commonest cause of anal itch. Scratching repeatedly can cause sores. Itchy anus can also be due to undigested food like citrus fruits, grapes, certain spices, tomatoes, certain medicines like antibiotics and laxatives and certain drinks like beer, milk, tea, or coffee. Anal fissures, hemorrhoids, threadworms can all cause anal itch. Itch can also be due to irritants like synthetic fiber, toiletries or fungal infection. Genital warts and sores of herpes should also be ruled out. Eczema, dermatitis and fungal infection can also cause this. You need to consult a skin specialist for confirmed diagnosis. Your PCP too can help run basic tests like stool examination and STD swab tests for herpes and genital warts.

Vaginal and or vulval itching after sex can be due to several causes. One is yeast infection. Usually there is a thick curd like discharge with it. Yeast infection or thrush is at times very difficult to treat. You may need to take oral antifungal pills twice a week for 3-4 weeks along with local application of antifungal cream. There are many types of antifungals available. Take an OTC antifungal with a combination of two or more anti fungals. Use both oral and local application. At times both partners need to be treated. Test for diabetes and other STDs as presence of either or both can make it difficult to treat the fungal infection. Provided it is indeed fungus, then only try this. Antifungal tablets are strong medicines and should not be taken otherwise. So start with cream and if it helps, start the tablet.

Herpes (STD) can cause vaginal itch as the first symptom. STD like trichomoniasis causes a greenish discharge. Hence it is important to get a STD panel done. In addition to these, vaginal itching may also be due to chemical irritants (such as detergents, fabric softeners, feminine sprays, ointments, creams, douches, and contraceptive foams or jellies), drop in estrogen during menopause, pin worms and stress.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.