Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

i just found out he's using Suboxone and Xanax

My brother is 45 yrs old. Recovering crack addict. I just found out he is taking 2 8mg sub ones a day and is mixing them with about 7-8 Xanax bars. I know this is dangerous. Just need to know how dangerous. I've taken his Xanax bars. But I was told that if u mix the two it gives him a heroin like high???? Is this true????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2013
Short answer no. When i was on suboxone i was prescribed xanax because suboxone was causing me to have panic attacks. The doses you describe are not dangerous, and dont cause a "heroin like high". Its good he is no longer on crack, but suboxone is a terrible drug too and i would suggest he stops taking it. You seem a bit fanatical about his drug usage- i suggest you calm down. He is in no immediate danger other than becoming dependant on suboxone and xanax, which is ok unless he quits the xanax cold turkey, which can cause fatal seizures. Best of luck.
|

replied December 18th, 2013
Experienced User
Xanax can work very well, but when used for too long, or when used in excess, it can create a physical and psychological dependence, and a syndrome of withdrawals upon cessation.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....