Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

I have started dilating myself

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I have never inserted anything in my vagina before not even tampons.But about 20 days back I have started dilating myself with my fingers.Initially with one and now I can take 2 fingers.1 finger goes in easily but getting two fingers in is still a bit painful so I do it very gradualy.I never had any sort of bleeding not even after I started dilating.I am very confused whether I have vaginismus or it is my extra strong hymen that is causing the entry barrier.A very peculiar thing that I have noticed while dilatingis that when my finger is 1/2" or so inside my vagina there is very tight annular tissue (or a muscle) which seems to be the primary cause entry barrier and burning & pain.It is something like a very tight rubber band which makes that area super tight.Once I gradualy cross that rubbery tissue then entry becomes smooth and less painful.I can feel that tissue expanding while dilating.Is it a tough hymen or vaginismus?Help me differentiate the two.My marriage is unconsummated.Help

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2011
Sexual Health - Women Answer A23955
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The ‘tight annular tissue’ that you describe is difficult to comment upon without examining you. The difference between unruptured tight hymen and vaginismus can only be done after careful examination done by your gynecologist/obstetrician. You should consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician at the earliest for examination. If hymen is found to be the cause, it can be ruptured surgically to allow for sexual intercourse. If vaginismus is the issue, then you will need to go ahead with counseling and medication (if indicated) to help you. You can also try with dilation with special dilators that come for this purpose to help you. Hope this helps.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.