Hello

I am infected with HBV and I have tested my Liver functions I found all
Alt-SGPT= 20 normal range 0-45
Billirubbin total=.52 0-1.0
========== Direct=.10 0.-03
Alk-phos =160 abnormal 21-92

May u plz expailn to me why my Alk phos is high is it all ok or what should I do now further.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The normal range of alkaline phosphatase is 20 to 140 IU/L. Hence your levels are just at the borderline levels.

Since all your other liver function tests, are within normal, it does not indicate any form of serious liver dysfunction.

In patients with Hepatitis B infection, to decide the treatment needed, it is important to know if this is a acute infection or a chronic infection. This is done with additional tests including a complete hepatitis B panel of serology tests (eg. HBc Antibody, HbE Antigen, HbS antibody, etc).‎

Up to 97% of healthy adults with acute HBV will clear the infection will become HBsAg Negative. In contrast, seroconversion ( HBsAg positive to negative) in chronic Hepatitis patients very uncommon (only 0.8 - 2% per annum).

In case of acute hepatitis infection, treatment is generally supportive, which may or may not require hospitalization. Rest and ‎managing symptoms are the primary goals of therapy. In case, you are able to clear the infection, eventually the HBsAg will become undetectable.

Hepatitis B becomes chronic when the body can’t get rid of the hepatitis B virus. Chronic hepatitis B usually has no symptoms until signs of liver damage appear. Without treatment, chronic hepatitis B can cause scarring of the liver, called cirrhosis; liver cancer; and liver failure.

Chronic hepatitis B is treated with drugs that slow or stop the virus from damaging the liver. The length of treatment varies. Medications used in treatment of chronic hepatitis B include lamivudine, adefovir , tenofovir, telbivudine and entecavir, and the two immune system modulators interferon alpha-2a and PEGylated interferon alpha-2a.

You may consult with your doctor or a hepatologist who can get diagnose your status properly and provide specific treatment and advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.