Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

I have horrific thoughts and images!

User Profile
I have been feeling extremely weird now for a year.I know that's pretty vague. I have always had a need to have everything in order and it's been bugging people but not to an extreme but i'm connecting it to my present problem because i've been reading up on OCD but i'm not sure that's what I have. Everything has to be in it's place or I can't relax. I don't count or check as most OCD sufferers do but I have horrific thoughts and images. They are horrible. I want to live a happy life but these images keep intruding. Thoughts of me dying, my son dying, what if I hurt someone, car accidents while I am driving, the end of the world,i hate holding knives,etc. I never thought of myself as a mentally weak person but lately it feels as if I can't control my own mind. I feel like I am going crazy. At work I constantly fear everything. I drink as soon as I get home just to relax and I do not want to rely on alcohol. Please tell me your opinion, it is much appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2011
PTSD Answer A20639
Hello.

Your symptoms can point towards OCD. For OCD to be diagnosed you need to have the obsessions, with or without the compulsions, and this should be affecting your life significantly. Obsessions are recurrent, intrusive, unwanted thoughts or images that create significant amount of anxiety. The various thoughts you have mentioned in your post can be categorized as obsessions. Apart from those intrusive images, the need to have everything in order can also suggest obsessive thinking.

Over all, your suspicion of OCD can be consider valid, but you may need to get your symptoms evaluated by a mental health professional.

Most of the anxiety is created with questions starting with "What if..." An example would be,"What if things are not in order and the work suffers!". These questions create the anxiety and fear, as they lead you to thinking only the worst outcomes. You can modify these question and you will get different answers. This can be achieved with the process of psychotherapy.

You can consult a mental health professional in your area for a proper evaluation and management advice.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our PTSD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.