Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

i have follicular carcinoma...

User Profile
Hallo, I am Diana-31 years old. I have had two thyroidectomies, one mass was benign and another was removed after two years was malignant. Pathologist said i have follicular carcinoma. I underwent radioiodine treatment 100mci two months ago.Now my worry is the surgeon performed a sub-total thyroidectomy. Do i need total thyroidectomy for the treatment to be effective? N what is the way forward for me. I am to go back to see my oncologist in February.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2011
Thyroid Cancer Answer A18414
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

After subtotal thyroidectomy the radioactive-iodine treatment is given to kill remaining cancer cells and even remaining thyroid tissue at the discretion of the oncologist. Usually a thyroid supplement is given thereafter. Since you are meeting your oncologist, please discuss with him. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.