Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

I have bruises all over my legs?

User Profile
Hi! I am a 15 year old who in participating in track and field and played field hockey last fall. I have always had severe growing pains in my legs since I was little and continue to have them, even though I am definitely not growing anymore. Also, I have had very bad ankle pain for months which started to be very bad about a year ago. I have been to various orthopedics and none of them are convinced it is an orthopedic problem. Recently, I have been having knee and leg pain as well. Also, I am bruising every where on my lower legs. I have 2 huge bruises covering both knees that started out as a bloody red color and turned to a normal bruise color. Now I have bruises all over my legs, and they started the same way. The athletic trainer does not think it is an orthopedic injury as well. I was checked for my rhuemothoid level and it remains normal, so I am not quite sure where to turn. I am not sure if I have a blood disease or possibly arthritis or what. Please help! Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2011
Blood Disorders Answer A21051
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history given it seems that you have a blood disorder or a sensitive skin.

Blood disorders resulting in a low platelet count can cause a maculopapular red rash, which subsides as the counts recover. Such low counts can occur due to viral infections that can affect the bone marrow that produces blood cells.

You might get a complete blood count and a peripheral blood smear and also consult a hematologist for proper evaluation of your condition.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.