Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

I have been tired and can't think for 2 years

Hey everyone, my name is James. Im 16, going into my sophomore year of high school. I am in desperate need of help, here is my story.

I have always been a smart kid throughout my life. Out and in of school. Always used to get A's, maybe a B or two on my report card. Never studied, barely looked over material, and still was one of the smartest in my grade. I have always had really good complex problem solving, for some reason I have trouble with simple problem solving sometimes.

When I went into 8th grade I had this weird feeling sweep over me. I was constantly tired, blew it off as a "teenager needs sleep" stage. As it went on and on, I started to notice some other effects. My motivation has gone down, it's hard for me to think, hard on concentrating on things that don't interest me, and I have "brain fog".

My grades have significantly dropped ever since I hit 8th grade. Math and Science were my easiest and most enjoyable subjects. In highschool I was in advanced math, every other day I would have math, for the entire year. After one day out of math, I couldn't remember what went on. My math teacher even talked to me about looking "out of it" during class. All of my classes seemed hard besides Social Studies.

I have been to the doctor, had a sinus infection, they did a CAT scan and they saw I had fluid around the front of my head, where I feel like it's heavy. After taking Claritin for 30 days, I still have the feeling. I recently went back to the doctors and got my blood taking. They tested it for low vitamin B levels, iron levels, thyroid, and another ten different things. Doctor said I was perfectly fine...

I spend most of my day on the computer. I use a pair of Gunnars glasses when on the computer to eliminate eye strain. I want to read books and learn, but the problem is when I read it I will have trouble sometimes comprehending what I am reading. I also forget the next day a lot of the material I read.

I get 8 or more hours of sleep every night. I got to bed around 12-2 AM on average and wake up around 10:30-11:30. I'm thinking something is wrong with my sleep but at this point I don't even know.

The only thing that has helped me was one time I had a migraine and took an Excedrin. About 10 minutes later, I felt like my normal self again. I was reading multiple forums on the computer and was speeding over it, remembering every detail and just had straight focus and energy. It was like I was normal again.

I don't know where to do anymore, I don't feel like I'm smart and can't accomplish anything. I just want all of this to be over and return to being "smart" again. But one really odd thing is that ever since this started, it feels like I have more of a photographic memory than I used to. I remembering the oddest things. The numbers on a screen, recalling events right down to the exact detail, and photos of certain things. I just want all of this gone, please someone help.

Thank You - James
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 25th, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi, thanks for the detailed post. You should definitely continue to work with your doctor to treat any underlying medical conditions.

Beyond that, you description sounds consistent to me with depression. You might benefit by also talking to a mental health counselor. If nothing else, it would be good to eliminate depression as a possible cause for this.
|

replied July 26th, 2014
Are you getting enough exercise?
What is your everyday diet like?
I find that eating salty food or eating to full makes me lethargic.

How about are you drinking enough water?
A lot of times when we feel tired is because we are dehydrated.

You might want to try drinking some coffee, because that helps me.
|

replied July 26th, 2014
What is your everyday diet like?
I find that eating salty food or eating to full makes me lethargic.

How about are you drinking enough water?
A lot of times when we feel tired is because we are dehydrated.

You might want to try drinking some coffee, because that helps me.
|

replied July 26th, 2014
Lost everything that i just wrote, so typing all over again.
Here are some tips

You need to drink enough water to avoid feeling tired.
If you are already getting enough water,
take a look at your diet.
I find myself lethargic whenever i eat to full.
Also, salty food make me feel tired later.

You should try getting your metabolism up by working out.

Take vitamins, Important.

If none of the above,
try drinking some coffee in the morning.
|