Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

I have a type of acne on my scalp

I am unsure if its just acne or something more serious and what medication/remedy should I take?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2016

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

From the picture it can be a boil or sebaceous cyst. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus.
For a boil, apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban.

You may also need oral antibiotics and pain killers for which you have to consult a doctor.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Acne
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.