Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

I have a multicolored mole on my knee. is it a safe mole?

I had the mole since birth only when I was little the mole was compleatly dark and didn't have that fading light brown on the sides
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 13th, 2016
There are 3 basic types or groups of moles: regular, irregular, and cancerous.A small number of regular moles may potentially evolve and become irregular or cancerous over time.Regular moles are usually symmetrical, have regular borders, uniform color, and are about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. Regular moles may be flat or raised.
Irregular or atypical moles are usually asymmetrical, have irregular borders, multiple or dark colors, and bigger that the size of a pencil eraser. Irregular moles are most often flat or nearly flat.
Irregular moles can occur anywhere on the body but are most common on sun exposed skin, especially on the upper back and shoulders where people frequently get their most severe sunburns.
The risk of melanoma is greater on sun damaged skin like the shoulders, upper back, and head and neck.
Well greater the number of moles on your body greater is the chance of developing melanoma(type of skin cancer).
So all in all you don't have to worry about the changing of color of the mole because it might have become an irregular mole due to exposure to sunlight.But it is a best practice to consult a dermatologist in your nearby area and get it checked .
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....