I have started to feel more depressed than I ever have before recently. I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy at age 7 and have been in a wheelchair since. The same year i was diagnosed, I also lost my dad.
Because of the lack of exercise I am able to get because of the chair I have become overweight.
I dont have friends as people try to avoid me because of the way I look and the wheelchair. There is also a girl at school who I like but I have lost completely lost confidence in myself and when im near her I stutter and end up getting out of the situaton as fast as I can. Often while people laugh at me.

I have often thought about suicide but could never bring myself to do it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi alt54,

There are somethings beyond our control, those we have to let go, however, there are somethings that are in our control, those we have to change. You can be in a chair and eat healthy. Control what you put in your mouth. Only eat foods, with low or no fat content, such as fruits, vegetables, grilled, baked, broil, steamed, fish, lamb, turkey or chicken. Eat only 100% whole wheat bread. Eat pleanty of nuts whole grain cereals. Drink plenty of water or non sugary or diet drinks.

As far your friend, give her a note asking for her email address or if she uses facebook. The two of you can communicate that way. Also there is an online site for people of different medical problems you could contact online. I don't know the name of the group but you can do a search for it. Start you a journal and write about your feelings, write everyday as often as you like. Sometimes people avoid what makes them unconfortable. If you allow your personality to show, they will see you and not the chair. Some of them may have family members or friends in a wheelchair. I find, it isn't what you are in that make people feel sandoffish, but what is in you. If you show them you are standing 10' tall, that is what they will see. I hope this helps.

God Bless,

Faded Rose
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....