Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

I hate how I diden't have a party for my 18th and 21st

like everybody else does
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I didn't have one either. I don't know where you're getting the idea that "everybody else does".

How is dwelling on this helping you? What possible good can come from looking back at things that didn't happen?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
My 18th birthday party was me moving out of my parents house to get away from my druggy sister and her abusive boyfriend. I also didn't have a baby shower like every one else did.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
when I was only 9 my sister had a druggy boyfriend and he hit me
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
What does this have to do with not having a party?
|

because the girl above me mentioned her sister been a druggy
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
She mentioned it to show you what she did on her 18th birthday instead of having a party. She's not crying about not getting a party, and she removed herself from a bad situation instead of complaining about it and doing nothing to change it.
|

I just get jelous of other fans of my favourate band
|

User Profile
My 18th? Id barely come out of hospital due to an operation. No party for me either. But thats life, you rnot th eonly one and it dosent really matter that much.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
You need to learn how to build up your self esteem and learn to be satisfied with yourself - or find things about yourself that are fixable, and then concentrate on fixing them. Looking at other people and thinking how much better they are than you is only going to make you feel bad, and there's no point in that.

This also goes for looking back at your life and thinking "I wish such-and-such hadn't happened". Wishing it hadn't happened won't do any good. You can't go back and change it - it's in the past. Dwelling on it will only make you miserable. Instead, look back at things that make you happy, or try to remember that today's a new day and try to make it a good one. All we can do is move forward.

Everyone has things that they're not happy with. Everyone has insecurities with their bodies, and there's no one on this Earth that hasn't looked at another person and thought "Why can't I look like that?" The difference is, most people are able to move past that and try to be content with themselves, or try to change the things that are changable. Wallowing in self-pity will solve nothing - absolutely nothing. This is probably why so many people in your life are telling you to let go of the past or to stop whining about things. It's fruitless to do so, and it's very annoying for the people around you to hear.
|