Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

I had a one time anal exposure...

User Profile
Hi Doctor,

I had a one time anal exposure, I was the one receiving. I was tested at 4 months (16 weeks) negative via blood test. My doctor told me that I should get tested again after 6 months even if I don't do anything. Many others say that with today's testing, 3 months is already accurate. What should I do? Please help me, I'm very worried and confused. What kind of people take longer than 3 months?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A35447
Welcome to e health forum.

As per CDC and WHO recommendations, any person who is suspected of being exposed to HIV should get HIV tests at least after 4 weeks post exposure.

In case the test is negative, repeat testing is recommended every 4 weeks upto 6 months.

But in cases of very low risk of HIV infection, testing at 12 weeks can be considered as conclusive, if your treating physician finds your chances of infection to be low. This would be assessed by proper assessment of your medical and sexual history.

In your case, chances of your test results turning positive is very less likely. This is due to the fact that it is very difficult to acquire HIV infection just by a single episode of anal intercourse. Repeated exposures over long durations with a infected individual is needed for infections to be actually transmitted. Hence you should relax for the time being. But you should still repeat the test at the end of 6 months, so that you can be completely sure about your own status with regarding to HIV.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.