Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

I forgot to ask whether he has changed the blade.

User Profile
Hi Doctor
a 10 days ago I had shave in barbar shop, usually barbar used "CUT THROAT" blade during shaving, but I forgot to ask whether he has changed the blade or not, however, the blade was not changed in front of me,it is pertinent to mention that I was first person to enter the shop and barber come after 10-15 minutes and I didn't have cut during shaving
I want to ask can hiv be transmitted in this way

Regards

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A30744
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

Usually in the normal sense of the world, most barbers who do business, and want customers to come back to them, ‎‎will have the good sense enough to use new blades on every customer. ‎

In case you do have doubts, you should confront him and clear your doubts. ‎

With regard to HIV transmission, via a reused blade, this can occur only if : - ‎

‎1. if the previous patient was HIV positive and had very high blood titres of HIV. The probability of this happening ‎‎would be very less. ‎

‎2. You had a large cut and there was considerable amount of bleeding, which took more time to stop bleeding. ‎

‎3. There was less than a few minutes between the use of the blade on you, after it was used on the previous ‎‎customer. ‎

‎4. there was considerable amount of blood on the blade in question. ‎

In case all the above situations were present, then there would be a risk of infection.

In your case, it is probable that since you did not endure any cuts, while having the shave and there was no bleeds, then there is no need to worry about the risk of HIV.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.