Just wondering for all the single parents having to raise a child alone without a mother/father it's a hard job and is it just me or the constant worry about having ur child grow up without a mom/dad figure not constantly being there can somehow be damaging? I only wanted the best for my son but unfortunately his mother would only be more damaging in his life if she was in his life. But her absence made us stronger and made my son a best friend.

I felt so alone raising a kid without the help of a spouse
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 21st, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
Hello,

You sound as though you have taken the task of raising a child alone very seriously. You are to be congratulated for that.

I think you have missed the point about single parent families "damaging" children.
How can you damage what is not there in the first place and that is the point - without two parents there is going to be knowledge and experiences missing that could ultimately affect the "adjustment" of the resulting adult in the outside world.

A boy begins to understand women by hearing his mother and a girl begins her understanding of men from her father. A boy learns to let his feminine side out from his mother. Children begin to learn about respect, compromise, family and couple politics, manners and intimate relations by observing parents.

If a single-parent child has access to other families and lots of friends, neighbours and family of both sexes around much of the above will undoubtedly be absorbed and provide some compensation.

Certainly a good single parent family upbringing must be better than a bad two-parent upbringing but it could never compete with a good two-parent family life during the formative years.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2013
Community Volunteer
Hi Dean59 and welcome to ehealth: Personally, I think you are doing an amazing job...Then who's to say in time you may have a woman in your life...He will be missing nothing...What you have given him is peace...That is more than all the money and Mothers in the world...

As he ages you will speak of this with him...Be kind when you speak of her...Keep this wonderful relationship that you have with him as it is...He is one fortunate child...My best to you...Take care...

Caroline...
|

replied April 19th, 2013
Re: I felt so alone
Hey buddy,

It's sometimes hard to raise a child with 2 parents, so I feel you. Have you ever tried dating somebody or thought about it?

Take care!

Dean59 wrote:
Just wondering for all the single parents having to raise a child alone without a mother/father it's a hard job and is it just me or the constant worry about having ur child grow up without a mom/dad figure not constantly being there can somehow be damaging? I only wanted the best for my son but unfortunately his mother would only be more damaging in his life if she was in his life. But her absence made us stronger and made my son a best friend.

I felt so alone raising a kid without the help of a spouse
|