Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

I feel really low and don't know myself anymore

User Profile
I'm 18 years old, I'm in my first year at University, lately I've been feeling really tired and I feel like my mind is just shut down, I feel really distant from everyone, I just want to sleep all day, I keep getting suicidal thoughts, I just don't feel real anymore, I'm questioning whether this is real life or a nightmare because I feel like I won't wake from it, It kills me knowing that I may never come out of it, I've kept it in for so long, that I was telling my mum and I just bursted out in tears, I don't know what to do with myself, I find it hard concentrating on this and remembering past events. I've been doing well at University I get top grades in Art, I just can't get motivated, I feel extremely alone, though I see many people around me I feel like I'm the only person in the world. I want to get better, I just don't know how, any adivce would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyMind202
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Experienced User
hi myMine202, you do sound depressed, and I can understand that. I've been living with bipolar for almost 5 or more years now, and my moods swing uncontrollably. It could be from college, and you mentioned you're having trouble remembering things as well. That is a sign of stress/ anxiety that can come from depression. I have been experiencing the same and am in my fourth semester, but had to drop it due to my bipolar. There is help out there like talking to a counselor, maybe even an t-depressants can help an get you focused again. Your symptoms are real and should be taken seriously evaluated by a professional. You don't have to keep feeling this way,and it can be scary and weird at times. I'm here, too if you ever want to talk. Take care.
|
Users who thank guest31449 for this post: MyMind202 

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2012
Hi Mymind202,

Whats wrong with your name? why dont you tell that one. Okay, its not a matter. Please let me know that, are you in a position to receive a suggestion from a stranger? Could you bother the stranger's advice? Because, you seems to be alone even if you being with your belongings. They the mails and the replies, will it work out. Answer these your selves. Expect the reply.

Surely we will discuss.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2012
Thanks AMowns, I appreciate it. I think I might pay a visit to the doctors again and maybe get on some anti-depressants this time. It's not long to the semister is over so I'll try my best to do my best Smile.
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Experienced User
No problem, an that's great. You'll time to relax and get things in the area where you want them. Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing. Smile
|

replied September 15th, 2013
I am honestly in the same boat as you. I am also, a first year university student, I get the same thoughts as you. Heck, believe me or not; I, too broke down infront of my mum when trying to express my feelings

I've concluded that the jump to university is indeed a big one, and it can get lonely at times. However only YOU can determine how your life is. Making friends is a skill many take for granted and as a result, it gets overlooked as a source of a problem (so you might want to think about joining societies and taking a step out of your comfort zone.)

if you sit down and do nothing about it, nothings going to change

Bear in mind nothing lasts forever, you're here for a good time - and its never a long time, so live it up! Smile
|

replied September 15th, 2013
I am honestly in the same boat as you. I am also, a first year university student, I get the same thoughts as you. Heck, believe me or not; I, too broke down infront of my mum when trying to express my feelings

I've concluded that the jump to university is indeed a big one, and it can get lonely at times. However only YOU can determine how your life is. Making friends is a skill many take for granted and as a result, it gets overlooked as a source of a problem (so you might want to think about joining societies and taking a step out of your comfort zone.)

if you sit down and do nothing about it, nothings going to change

Bear in mind nothing lasts forever, you're here for a good time - and its never a long time, so live it up! Smile
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....