Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

"I feel like a failure"

User Profile
Good day everyone. My name is Matthew and I never been diagnose with ADD/ADHD, however I do strongly think I am. I was attending Vancouver film school but my first 2 terms came up with crappy grades and now I am forced to end this term (and school) because I'm below 65% (final grades after 2 terms: 30%)

I find myself hard to be motivated and only seem to do good with things when I'm forced to. Here are some examples of some issues. I have a friend coming over in a few hours. During those hours I wait, I was all happy he/she was coming over but than I felt like I should be alone. Most of the time he/she comes over & I get back to feeling happy for a friend coming over. School work seems to be a big issue also, I get into the work but than I stop and get into my computer and forget about the work. Also, It's hard getting out of bed even if it's a school day. I just have no motivation to do things. It really effects me on the emotional side because I feel like a failure.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2011
"I feel like a failure"
Hello Matthew.

A lack of adequate motivation seems to be a predominant theme underlying most of your challenges currently. When you are motivated, you are likely to get things done. Otherwise, the task appears tedious and the mind wanders off. This could be happening with the studies. And it's not just the motivation to do things that we are talking about. It's the motivation of pursuing an over all, long term goal you might not have set so far.

It also seems you might have to explore your thoughts and beliefs about this current situation in your life. Your last sentence "I feel like a failure" gives a hint that you might be carrying some self-defeating beliefs. And this is your opportunity to really explore the beliefs, modify them into rational and helping ones and implement them in our day to day life.

In this effort, you can be greatly benefited by consulting a mental health professional who can help you diagnose the condition, check if you indeed have ADD/ADHD, identify additional problems and choose an appropriate therapy.

As far as your your question is concerned, your symptoms are not sufficient to be categorized as ADD or ADHD. However, a clinical evaluation by a Psychiatrist or a psychologist is necessary for a diagnosis.

Hope this helps. Best Regards

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.