Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

i eat anything, i start sweating heavily, dripping...

User Profile
Hello, would you be able to advise me, i'm thinking of going into my local hospital about this but i would rather get advice before wasting valuable NHS time.

I am male and 23 years old. Every time i eat anything, i start sweating heavily, to the point where it is literally dripping of my forehead and down my back, I am sitting in a cool room that isn't really warm due to the fan i have blowing on my self and the fact i'm not sweating all the time, just when i eat .I am diabetic however my blood glucose levels are between 7 - 9 (English reading) so it's within the normal range, i've checked it before and after eating so i know i'm not hypoglycemic. the sweating is getting worse and i don't really know who to see about the matter

thank you in advance for any help you can give

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2014
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A49156
Thank you for asking

Symptoms are classic for reactive hypoglycemia. Some times levels don't go down but symptoms appear. Diet and lifestyle modifications help. Lets discuss in details.

Reactive hypoglycemia (postprandial hypoglycemia) is low blood sugar that occurs after a meal — usually within four hours after eating. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) usually occurs while fasting. Signs and symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia may include hunger, weakness, shakiness, sleepiness, sweating, lightheadedness, anxiety and confusion.

It's possible to have symptoms that are similar to reactive hypoglycemia without actually having low blood sugar. True reactive hypoglycemia symptoms that are caused by low blood sugar occurring after eating are uncommon. For the majority of people with postprandial symptoms, the actual cause of the symptoms is not clear but may relate to what food was eaten or variations in the timing of the food moving through the stomach and intestinal tract.

Generally, a medical evaluation is done to determine whether symptoms are caused by low blood sugar — and whether symptoms resolve once blood sugar returns to normal. Further evaluation of reactive hypoglycemia depends on the severity of signs and symptoms.

For the majority of people, reactive hypoglycemia usually doesn't require medical treatment. It may help to pay attention to the timing and composition of your meals:

Eat several small meals and snacks throughout the day, no more than three hours apart during the waking hours.
Eat a well-balanced diet, including lean and nonmeat sources of protein, and high-fiber foods, including whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
Avoid or limit sugary foods, especially on an empty stomach.
Be sure to eat food if you're consuming alcohol and avoid using sugary soft drinks as mixers.
For some, particularly those who have had intestinal surgery (gastric bypass or surgery for the management of ulcer disease) further evaluation by a doctor may be warranted, but dietary changes are still recommended.

It's also important to include physical activity in your daily routine.

I hope it helps. Seek an endocrinologist for further management.

Visit our health centre for further guidance.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.