Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

I dont know whats wrong with me?

So ive just realized that i have the urge to spend, im not comfortable walking around and not buying anything i have to buy something it can be the smallest thing like a pice of gum it calms the urge and it gives me that happines and satisfaction because in my mind i know that i just bought that pice of gum and another thing that bothers me is that before i get my check im already thinking what im about to do with it, and i cant stop it my mind puts a verry high importance to money it could be 50 cents and im already thinking on spending it i mean thats not normal i know its not normal but i cant stop it i need help or atleast whant to know whats wrong with me?? Question Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
clumsy500,

Since you state that you have an "urge" to spend, and only buying something will calm that urge, probably means that you have some type of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

You have caught this in a very early stage, before it has cost you your house, possessions, and livelihood (due to overspending). You may want to get some help for this compulsion, before it does become a big problem.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Its shopaholism and it needs psychotherapy sessions and rehab. Cognitive behavioural therapy helps too. Fluoxetine in 20 mg dose helps. Let your psychiatrist help you in this regard further.

Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.