Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

I don't want to want a cigarette for the rest of my life...

I'd rather die a cancer-ridden wench than want 'just one more smoke' for the rest of my life. I'm on day five, and yes I can 'not' smoke, but I desperately want one. Will I always be like this, because I don't want that, I'd prefer to just light up right now.

From what everyone else is saying, the cravings never leave? Well what are we meant to do then? Be miserable for the rest of our loooong life or just live a normal amount of time enjoying a pack a day or two.

I've read about all this 'smokes don't really feel good' nonsense, about how it's all a mental trick. What difference does the physiological side have to do with it? I enjoy smoking, and I want one. It isn't a trick that the ritual of lighting up a smoke with my smoker buddies after a meal feels good, or just smoking and chatting with a coffee. It was my favorite thing to do, and now I have all this free time and I'm always craving so I try to eat or exercise or watch films or do homework, but nothing fills the void.

It's expensive, and I can't afford it, and no doubt it's bad for you and stinks, yadda yadda. I hate the idea of dependance. If somebody can tell me that I will be fine, that the craving will go away and I'll live a normal smoke-free life, then I will - but if it's always a battle, than I don't like the idea of that. I need to focus, do my work, do my projects - i need to be on top of my game, and smokes kept me in line - sure if I was a never smoker, I would be fine, but I was a pack a day smoker - and it helped me stay focused.

I need to be focused or I can't do my work!

The first three days weren't bad, but yesterday was hard, and today is harder - am I hitting a peak and tomorrow will be fine? Or will it get harder and harder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 6th, 2011
I hope it's not too late to tell you that there is a better way. Cold turkey is hard. Even taking nicotine replacements is difficult to commit to. But you CAN do it! But you really DO have to change the way you think about smoking. You probably don't want to read a self help book about quitting smoking, but there IS one that can actually help you change the way you think about smoking. It can change your perspective completely. The Easy Way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. You should really try to read it. What do you have to lose? And if you can afford it (it's cheaper than smoking) you should talk to your doctor about going on Champix. I quit with it and it's been ridiculously easy. I feel like I was never a smoker, I never had a single craving and I never looked back. Just stay focussed on why you want to quit and have faith in yourself. You can do it!
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2014
I know this is an old post, but, in case you are still checking it. I successful quite cold turkey. It was very hard and painful at times. But, I was absolutely determined in both mind and body that this was going to be it for me. My OH had to use gum to help kick his habit. So, I say if you haven't already done so, stick with it. Keep trying and you will eventually be smoke free.
|

replied October 7th, 2014
I smoked for 40 years and it was easy for me because my friend got oral cancer and died a horrible death. I quit and never looked back I started walking everyday enjoying the fresh air! My family is so happy for me which makes me happy for them I'm not the stinky smoker anymore!
|