Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

I don't want to lose my job!!!

hey everybody I'm Michael and I'm 23 yrs old.. I was diagnosed with ADD in kindergarten since then I haven been on medication for a long time and I think a lot of my problems from ADD are affecting my life in a negative way..

First off I have a really hard time at work, I just started a new job 2 weeks ago and it seems like I always have a hard time catching on.. ( this has happened with every job I've ever had) I always take a lot longer to catch on and get in the flow of things then others do and that causes me to either look dumb or lazy to co workers/supervisors.. So on top of not getting actual work done it creates problems with the people around me..

I have a very very hard time following directions and have to actually be shown how to do something more then a few times before I "get it".. Idk why but that causes problems having to always ask the same questions over and over again..

This has always been a problem for me and was even the reason I dropped out of highschool ( I ended up getting my GED though)

Also it seems that when given a task I take way longer then I'm suppose even though to me it seems I'm working as fast as I can.. Another problem when on a schedule at work

So I'm in constant worry that I'm going to lose this brand new job because of these problems, I'm using my cell now and don't want to type way to much but will add info if needed

I need advice asap

Thanks everybody
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile GolfGuy
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied June 2nd, 2011
I Can Sympathize
Hello

I've been an ADHD all my life, so I can sympathize with your issues. I too used to have trouble catching on and worried that co-workers and my boss thought I was lazy. I actually did lose a job over it but the next job I got, I told them right of the bat that I was an ADHD and I learn differently that other people. I told them they couldn't just tell me how to do something. They needed to show me how to do it and then let me do it myself with someone watching to make sure I got it right.

I also found that by doing this, alot of co-worker understood the situation and didn't jump to conclusions. I also made a pointof going in each day and being happy and eager to learn. Most people don't mind showing you something again if your pleasant about it.

I also have the issue that my brain never shuts off, so I occupy it by trying to come up with creative ways to re4meber what I've just learned. I either create an acronym or a stupid rhyme or relate it to something I won't forget.

I know its hard adn scary, but be honest with your employer. ADD/ADHD is technically a disability and most employers don't descriminate.

Hope this helps.
|
Users who thank ADHD for this post: brokendoll 

replied May 10th, 2012
Whoah, I wish I had do that in my later jobs. My bosses used to joke at me in a not very nice way calling me ''slow'', ''funny'', ''special at learning''...But in my country there's not many info about this. I'm 23 and have lived my whole life with this, but it's gotten worse as the wears pass. It's good to see that you have found a way to deal better with it ^^
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2011
I would definitely tell your boss. The above poster is right, it is a disability and they can't discriminate against you for that. But you need to show that you are willing to put in the extra effort that will be needed to learn and keep pace!
|

replied June 30th, 2011
you need to show that you are willing to put in the extra effort. You have to need of Ayurveda process.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
Experienced User
Re: I Can Sympathize
ADHD wrote:
Hello

I've been an ADHD all my life, so I can sympathize with your issues. I too used to have trouble catching on and worried that co-workers and my boss thought I was lazy. I actually did lose a job over it but the next job I got, I told them right of the bat that I was an ADHD and I learn differently that other people. I told them they couldn't just tell me how to do something. They needed to show me how to do it and then let me do it myself with someone watching to make sure I got it right.

I also found that by doing this, alot of co-worker understood the situation and didn't jump to conclusions. I also made a pointof going in each day and being happy and eager to learn. Most people don't mind showing you something again if your pleasant about it.

I also have the issue that my brain never shuts off, so I occupy it by trying to come up with creative ways to re4meber what I've just learned. I either create an acronym or a stupid rhyme or relate it to something I won't forget.

I know its hard adn scary, but be honest with your employer. ADD/ADHD is technically a disability and most employers don't descriminate.

Hope this helps.

agreed
|

replied July 28th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Here is a simple thing u can do;
ALWAYS be at work early and always be willing to do extra over lunch (helps keep u slim also)
Ask supervisor or boss what u can do to improve
Learn to look at jobs NOT from your point BUT from the employer's, how r u at making Co $ / r u available when suddenly someone is needed or do u cause the boss to need someone to replace u for the day
. . good luck
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Hey,
maybe it would be helpful to go for some psychotherapy. They could help you organise a bit better and handle the situation somehow more effective.
Like for having to ask the same questions several times, have you considered to write down or record the answers the first time you ask?

betaguy
|

replied July 11th, 2012
what you going through does sound like a tough thing to deal with. have you ever tried meditation ? it can help a lot - i am sure in just a few weeks your life will begin to turn around. just make sure you do it right with the help of an instructor.

Also, i would like to add, please belive in yourself. I know you are going through a lot of problems cuz of ADD, but its all about beliving that you can handle the problem. Feeling optimistic about what you can achive wil make you more powerful and you wil do better.

be less harsh on yourself. if you could write such an organised and meaningful post here - a long one too, and very well written i must say, I am sure you will do great !
|

replied August 30th, 2012
Experienced User
This ADD runs in my family. My father had it, but he just died. My elder brother dropped out of high school in 9th grade because everyone thought he was the dumbest kid on the planet. My son has it too and has been on vyvanse and adderall. I was sick lately and needed some ginger which I learned to love as a child, but this is the crystalized ginger (like candy and awfully hot). I too stared out the window, could never pay attention or anything in school, but when my mother introduced me to crystalized ginger, I became an A+ student. I have one year of college and married in 1975 and had to give back 2 full-ride scholarships. I am an A+ student because I learned to love crystalized ginger. Give it a try. Better than caffeine anyday!
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...