Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

I don't even know the reason behind this depression

Hi. I've been suffering from depression lately and I ended up losing all of my friends. I feel empty and lonely.This depression is slowing killing me from the inside and I feel like I don't want to live anymore because why would I if I know that no one loves me.Not anymore.I can't laugh even if I force it, it will just ended up to be a breathless and you will know it's an obvious fake laugh. I stopped smiling and the worst part is I don't even know the reason behind this depression. It just happened. Is it even possible? Help me. I don't know who i am anymore.My family doesn't know anything about my depression because I'm scare that they probably treat me differently and I don't want that. I want the old me.Please, help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2018
It can be tough making the initial step to ask for help. Thank you for sharing your story and for taking that first step. While some have clear reasons for when depression began, for others it is more insidious and unclear when it started. While I am unable to diagnosis you online, I can tell you that patients with a diagnosis of depression have reported no clear reason for depression, which sometimes points to an underlying genetic cause, such as family history, or no cause at all.

But the good news is that depression is treatable. First, it is recommended that you meet with a qualified healthcare provider that will listen to your concerns. Share your story with the provider, who will listen for symptoms of clinical depression. These symptoms include negative changes in a person's outlook on life, including how they view themselves and the world around them. Feelings of poor self worth, thoughts that life is not worth living, and down or excessively sad mood lasting for longer than two weeks at a time can all be symptoms of depression. Many have decreased interest in spending time with friends or hobbies they once enjoyed. Other symptoms include changes in appetite, sleep, energy, concentration. Some people experience appetite and sleep increase, while others experience a lack of appetite and insomnia. Variations in symptoms could indicate underlying reasons for depression, such as thyroid disease.

It seems that you have a family and I encourage you to consider them an ally. Families and support systems are a key part of treatment, making a positive difference in the lives of many patients. that would take notice of your concerns. Again, it is important that you consult with a trusted and qualified healthcare provider for appropriate diagnosis as diagnosis leads treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.