Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

I cant bring up what I am trying to cough up!

User Profile
I have had a cold - 1st one in 6 years. The nose is still producing ?? something that I swallow.

I have a bad, chesty cough, and when I cough I cant bring up what I am trying to cough up. The left lung (which, in the past has given me some sharp pains - dont know why) gets really sore when I am trying to cough up, what ever is down there.

I have consumed a bottle of cough mixture plus am taking suda-fed.

Yes, I am a smoker - dont get cross with me - 3 packets a day. I have smoked since I was around 14 years old, I am now 52.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2011
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A21464
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

From the description it seems that your symptoms could be due to sinusitis and post nasal discharge.

The description of the chest pain could indicate a lung infection.

You might benefit from a physical examination as well as investigations including a chest Xray, A CT scan, a sputum test, blood tests etc for a proper diagnosis.

Smoking 3 packs a day is very high and can predispose you to develop Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, that can reduce your lung function even further. You might consider cutting it down or completely quitting it. Nicotine gum can be used to help you quit smoking.

Your symptoms might improve with treatment with medications like clarinex or Benadryl, AND, antibiotics to clear the infection.

You might consult a doctor for further evaluation and treatment of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.