Last winter, I accidentally swallowed a peace of steamed broccoli that was too big to go down. We don't have any insurance, so instead of going to the emergency room to have it removed, I decided to tough it out until it went down on its own. Over the next several days, I got very sick and ended up in the emergency room anyway. They hooked me up with a gastroenterologist who did the usual tests. The results they gave me were that I had "diminished peristalsis", and that a biopsy showed some inflammation of the esophagus tissue. That's all they told me.

My opinion is that the broccoli caused inflammation, which made it more difficult to swallow food, which caused more inflammation, etc, etc, etc. I haven't been able to eat any real solid food since then. I have been able to increase the roughness of the mush I eat since then, and I have been able to eat things that start out solid but end up dissolving easily in the throat, like some kinds of crackers. From time to time, though, I have tried to eat something a bit bigger just to see if I could do it, and it's gotten stuck and made me very sick (diarrhea, nausea, rapid pounding heart, pain). I also find that certain kinds of foods that never used to cause me any problems will cause my throat and esophagus to swell up. Things like green leafy vegetables, beets (pretty much anything high in iron), and many herbs and spices.

On two occasions, an infection developed, and I have needed to go on antibiotics. Right now I am only able to have foods that are fairly liquid in consistency, and I am on antibiotics.

Has anyone ever heard of or encountered a similar situation, and does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper leahjosh66
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2011
Hi. Im currently going,through,this myself. Since beginning of september. At first I thought I did something to my throat when I,took a pill that seemed to feel like it got caught. plus ive always had reflux and for some reason my reflux blew up really bad. after these incidents, I felt my food going down slowly in my,throat and esophagus. It just didnt feel right. So I thought it was a combination of both incidents.

I had an endoscopy done and my GI doctor said I had no stictures or narrowing but had a bit of esophagitis at the end and gastritis. But I still continued to have problems swallowing solids because I feel my food moving down my esophagus slowly. Its so uncomfortable and I get scared it will just get stuck.

A week ago I seen an ENT doc who scoped my throat and said it was fine. I also get this lump feeling in my throat that seems to be I have read from reflux or anxiety. ENT sent me to have a barium swallow to check my swallowing because he said it could be a motility (peristalis not working) issue of the muscles. Got resukts frim test but Nothing was said about my swallowing only about my reflux.

Im very discouraged as im still the same way. Like you, I have been on a liquid diet blending everything inthe blender for past month now. Im so depressed and wondering if I will get any answers. I really feel I have the same problem as you. I dont know what they do,to,treat it. Ive read that theres not much they can do about it except diet modification (dont have a choice), seeing a nutritionist, and I thunk some medication to allow transit of food to move more quickly but I read its not that effective.

Im sorry you are going thru,this. Ive been searching for health forums these past few weeks to see if anyone was going thru what I am. I was searchung this morning and seen that you just posted this. I,do,hope you check back to your posting. Im so depresses from all of this. I have a appt with my GI doc next week and I hope he can find out whats wrong with me. He will probably do a manometry test next. If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?
|
Users who thank Jennuine84 for this post: fareclae  fareclae 

replied November 27th, 2011
hi ive had them same problem myself part from my glands have been up for 4 weeks had infection but all of a sudden i cant swallow solid foods ive been ENT still waiting on results but there keep you waiting if it aint serious but how we meant to cope with not eating properly im hoping it will go away soon but ive infections throat and ear and back of my throat still red at the back which brings on the discomfort when eating anything or drinking ive been given a diflam spray to take the discomfort away but shall let you know when to expect when i get my results all trhe best with yours.
|

Thanks, Jennuine84. It's pretty depressing sometimes for sure. I'm 55. Will you report here the results of your next tests if you find anything out?
|

User Profile
Im 27 years old. Its depressing because all of this happened over night. one day I was eating normal and never had any issues swallowing food and the next day all of this started happening. Im getting tired of eating this way, I want my life back and to eat normal again. It has really disrupted my life and I still worry whats wrong with me. As soon as I have more testing done I will come back and update. If they still dont find anything wrong then I will be in the dark once again.
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
That's got to be very difficult for you. I hope you get some results. Definitely come back and update after you have your tests done.
|

replied October 24th, 2012
cant swallow solids
My nameis Katherine. I'm 20 and I have had this same problem for about a year and I feel the exact same way. I just found out I'm pregnant and I'm very scared because of my eating problem. Any suggestions?
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2011
Is anyone else going through this?
|

replied November 27th, 2011
yes about 2 weeksago i had half a pill stuck in my throat it took 2 days for it to desolve. my eating did not seem to be effectied so after about 2 more i tryed it once more, same thing. now i have a multa vitiman desolving now i am afrade to eat or take any thing solid.
|

replied December 1st, 2011
Hello all, I have been going through all of this also.
I caught a viral infection at work ( DDS office no less) and it persisted, severe laryngitis 4 weeks plus...antibiotics, steriodal meds and today I finally saw an ENT who scoped me said no nodes but concerned about the not being able to swallow and the swelling of my gland the pain in the ears as well as the base of my throat. He gave me no answers put me back on steriods, and gave me an antacid, um I do not have any reflux except for this morning I was eating so much soup yesterday it made me sick. So I will keep reading all your posts as we press on. Tomorrow CT scan, Barium and next week a scoposcopy. Thanks for your posts I amdglad we can share
|

replied January 5th, 2012
swallowing issue
I am glad to know I am not the only person going through this. I had the same issue out of no where back in september. I went to a gastroenterologist for 3 months and he did 4 endoscopy's, I had erosive esophogitis, gastritis, reflux, and ulcers. He did not address my swallowing issue. He gave me a motility study and it showed I had very weak muscles and they were only contracting at 20%. After the third month of eating Boost and Ensure and no solids I went to another gastro. This doctor gave me a endoscopy and dialation. For three days after the dialation I was able to eat some solid foods and on the fourth day back to no solids. He than put me on flovent becuase I had signs of eosinophilic esophagitis. So now I was on carafat, dexilant, flovent. The doctor ordered a Barium Swallow and it was negative. He ordered a modified Barium swallow and that was negative. He ordered a gastric emptying study and that was negative. He than told me I had bolis I think its called, it is a pysocological issue that causes people to think they had food getting stuck in there throat. He put me on anti anxiety pills that are to help reduce the nerve endings in the back of the throat, I took it and was able to eat eggs and stuff for a few days and than back to the same issue and feelings. I made an appointment and am going to see the Ent on Monday because I can pinpoint the area where I feel the food getting stuck and its between my collarbone and above my adams apple. Hopefully I will get an answer....I am curious to know if it has anything to do with my thyroid gland!? I will post after monday
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2012
Cmeyer, did you ever find out what was wrong with you? Did anyone ever address your poor esophageal muscle function, from what you said its very likely you have an esophageal motility disorder.
|

replied February 23rd, 2015
I have this exact same problem please let me know if you ever figured this out?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2012
you said you had a motility study (esophageal manometry?) done and it said you had weak muscles and only working at 20 percent? well, thats where your problem lies! you aren't crazy as these people are saying. You probably have an esophageal motility disorder which can make it hard to not eat and sometimes people have to live solely on liquid food because they lack the function in their esophagus to push down the food. I know because I just had my esophaheal manometry tests and several swallows were not normal in my esophagus. I'm waiting for my doctor to tell me what my results mean. I'm still on a liquid diet as I can not eat solids either.

don't give up! do NOT let them make you think its all in your head cause it definitely is not. They need to find out whats wrong with you, and it seems like they already did, why arent they addressing the fact tht you have weak muscle function when you swallow????? Thats where the problem lies. MY GI told me if I have a motility issue with my esophagus that there wouldn't be much he could do. In your case (and mine when it comes to that) you should try seeing a motility doctor then. They can directly address your motility issues.
|

replied July 18th, 2013
I cannot believe how many posts there on similar to my problem with swallowing. It's onset was sudden. Right after getting a vitamin stuck in my esophagus, I immediately found I could not swallow any solids. I have had an endoscopy, a 2nd endoscopic procedure to expand the "Schotsky" ring that they found from an esophogram.. This test also found some motility issues which were further confirmed by a "manometry" test. The resulting diagnosis was "diffuse esophageal spasms" The doctor is taking a "wait and see' posture. He is only recommending that I take "Nexium suspension" for the onset of reflux which is also new condition for me. I can't even swallow a capsule. I take it in liquid form. It's been the worst 6 weeks of my life. I have not been able to swallow anything but liquids and smooth soups and protein drinks for 6 weeks. Has anyone had or heard about a videofloroscopy test? (nicknamed "cookie swallow" test. It seems to be under the category of speech pathology so though I am going to talk to my doctor about it next week. I think it might be done to detect upper esophagus swallowing issues. Anyone with any feedback I would be grateful. There seems to be a lack of treatment recommendations that really work from what I have read on the internet.
|

replied July 18th, 2013
I cannot believe how many posts there on similar to my problem with swallowing. It's onset was sudden. Right after getting a vitamin stuck in my esophagus, I immediately found I could not swallow any solids. I have had an endoscopy, a 2nd endoscopic procedure to expand the "Schotsky" ring that they found from an esophogram.. This test also found some motility issues which were further confirmed by a "manometry" test. The resulting diagnosis was "diffuse esophageal spasms" The doctor is taking a "wait and see' posture. He is only recommending that I take "Nexium suspension" for the onset of reflux which is also new condition for me. I can't even swallow a capsule. I take it in liquid form. It's been the worst 6 weeks of my life. I have not been able to swallow anything but liquids and smooth soups and protein drinks for 6 weeks. Has anyone had or heard about a videofloroscopy test? (nicknamed "cookie swallow" test. It seems to be under the category of speech pathology so though I am going to talk to my doctor about it next week. I think it might be done to detect upper esophagus swallowing issues. Anyone with any feedback I would be grateful. There seems to be a lack of treatment recommendations that really work from what I have read on the internet.
|

User Profile
oh and p.s. cmeyer, the reason the barium swallow and modified came back okay is because those tests arent really good at showing swallowing problems if the problem is in your esophagus, those are meant for swallowing problems in your upper throat. since your motility study said you had weak muscle function at only 20 percent (its no wonder you cant eat solid food!), that is within your esophagus. thats what a motility study (esophageal manometry) is. it measures the contractions of your muscles when you swallow. this is the test where they stick a tube up your nose and down your throat into you esophagus right? I'm very surprised your original GI did not address this issue and why your SECOND GI did not see you had a poor result from the motility test and is now saying its all in your head?????? Doctors can be wacko sometimes. keep pushing for answers. and make sure you are getting your calories for the day. try eating soups, yogurt smoothies, blended oatmeals and cereals in milk, continue to drink the ensures and boosts. drink some v8 juices or high calorie fruit juices. this is all things I have been doing.
|
Users who thank Jennuine84 for this post: fareclae 

Experienced User
Hi

I have been struggling with it for an insane amount of time, most likely since childhood. The worst is when I need to swallow my pills (6 in the mornings and 3 at night). They always seem to get stuck and I end up with a knot in my throught for the rest of the day. Some day's, the knot is there for no apparent reason... even before I get out of bed.

My parents have allways had a really hard time in getting me to eat and it's only now that I am older and realising that what I thought was "normal" is just something I had gotten used to. Not eating a lot and having Marfan's to boot, you can just imagine what I look like (Some friends call me the "Grim Reaper" Razz ). I am 6'4" and 68kg's (My cardio is getting concerned as every time I see him I had lost about a kg...started out at 70kg's when I was first diagnosed with Marfan's).

I have had various tests done, from swallong a camera to barium swallow test. They found nothing strange, except for the fact that the radiologist who did the barium test commented on the fact that I have exagerated paristalsis.

Would this be the same as reduced muscle effeciency? Wouldn't that be marked by a lesser amount of paristalsis?

Sorry if I ask an insane amount of questions but I used to be a software developer so my mind races at 500 miles a second but... Marfan's only affects your connective tissue and not your muscular tissue, so is it still possible that my problem is muscular related?

Also, I have noticed that the "cartlidge" in my throught tends to be "loose". I can shove the "rings" in my asophagus from one side to the other with my fingers.

If I can get some straight answers instead of the usual "shrug...I don't know" that I get from doctors, it would mean the world to me...but more so to my family who is always really concerned about my eating habits, especially in the light of my other health problems.
|

replied November 24th, 2012
Have you had a MRI to see if you could have the rare Paraganglioma Carotid or Jugular Tumor?
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2012
hi seraph. it is possible to have swallowing issues and problems with the esophagus with a connective tissue disorder. for an example, scleroderma people have issues with their esophagus a lot. so that may be why you are having problems swallowing.
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Looking for Answers Trouble swallowing with GERD
Hi Jennuine84, I just read this today, thought, at last someone with exactly the same symptoms as me!.

This happened overnight for me, actually I think it was while I was in the middle of an 5 month exercise bootcamp that my symptoms developed. It went away after a month or so, and then I seen to have an attack every 4 months now that last about a month.

I too was diagnosed with GERD/GORD and at my last Endoscopy it all apeared normal, although the biopsy showed some signs of inflamation in the distal part. But this was all not visible in the endoscopy.

I find that I can't eat solids and the blender has become my best friend. I too am completely sick and tired of it. I find if I go on an intense nutritional supplement program - vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, and I mean intense and maintain it, it goes away and I don't get it again.

For me it conincides with GERD/GORD, so I just assumed it was inflamation. GERD/GORD settles then the inflamation settles and then I get better.

I'd be interested to hear how you are going now?

Fingers crossed we all get better
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Looking for Answers Trouble swallowing with GERD
Hi Jennuine84, I just read this today, thought, at last someone with exactly the same symptoms as me!.

This happened overnight for me, actually I think it was while I was in the middle of an 5 month exercise bootcamp that my symptoms developed. It went away after a month or so, and then I seen to have an attack every 4 months now that last about a month.

I too was diagnosed with GERD/GORD and at my last Endoscopy it all apeared normal, although the biopsy showed some signs of inflamation in the distal part. But this was all not visible in the endoscopy.

I find that I can't eat solids and the blender has become my best friend. I too am completely sick and tired of it. I find if I go on an intense nutritional supplement program - vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, and I mean intense and maintain it, it goes away and I don't get it again.

For me it conincides with GERD/GORD, so I just assumed it was inflamation. GERD/GORD settles then the inflamation settles and then I get better.

I'd be interested to hear how you are going now?

Fingers crossed we all get better
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2012
Hi frangi. Nope im stil the same! 7 months of being on a liquid diet. My issues dont seem to go away. My esophageal manometry tesy showed abnormal swallows within my esophagus. I cant eat solid food at all. It seems to be a muscle issue within my esophagus bc i have my GERD controlled with reflux medication but i still have issues eating. Are you currently unable to eat solid foods? Have you been to a GI doc or had any swallow tests done? If it keeps reoccuring and you fund yourself eating from a blender, its very likely that this stems deeper than just reflux. Consistent reflux can actually damage the vagus nerve in your esophagus which is responsible for motility in the esoohagus, stomach, and intestines. If that gets damaged from the reflux it can cause swallowing problems and digestion problems in the stomach. Honestly i havent been abke to get any helpmfrom docs. I need to see a ever more specific specislist. I think i may be like this indefinitely. I havent had any improvement even with controlling my reflux. Reply and let me know whats up. Im sorry you are going thru this, but isnt it relieving to know you arent alone. My life has been flipped upside down.
|

replied September 5th, 2016
Hi Jennuine84,

Is your problem still exists , i am not sure as the conversations are back from 2012.

If your problem is resolved then pls let me know how did it go.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Hi Jennuine84, sorry to hear you are not better. Frustrasting as we are so young to be experiencing this - I am 28.

Yep still off solids - Been a month, I'd be going crazy at 7 months. I have had my fair share of freak out attacks and I am sure that is not helping either. I even blend porrige!

My only symptom is the fact that I have trouble passing food down in my throat, more so than my esophagus. It feels as though some of it gets stuck. Given this, I suspect that I have LPR as I do not have the typical GERD/GORD symptoms of heartburn.I have been reading up on LPR and I think that UES has become tight which explains why it won't let the entire amount of food down. I don't get the acid coming back up, I get food mixed with acid coming back up. If I have solids then, it comes back up and they seem to get stuck.

I had a barium swallow and that showed that I have marked reflux. I am not sure if that shows motility, but nothing other than reflux was identified. does the Barium show swallowing issues? what tests is that? I have a docs appointment tomorrow so I will ask for these tests.

Do you have problems swallowing liquids, even thick liquids?

As you probably have also, I have been doing quite a bit of research on this. I have decided doctors are useless. I have been looking into vitamin D - have you been tested? Given that the esophagus is a muscle including the UES and LES - it seems that you may need to strengthen it. Have a look at this - http://drgominak.com/vitamin-d

There are some people on this forum that have been getting relief from vitamin d and I must agree also, my symptoms feel a little better.I can eat thicker liquids, I was even having problems with some thick soups a few days ago. The pressure at the back of my throat has gone as well. It is a patient process though, it takes time for your body to get up to normal.

How long have you had GERD for?

I honestly think nutrition is the key - do you take any supplements? I was having a look at my history and when I don't take anything - this develops.

Its frustrating, uncomfortable and severely affects your quality of life. People take for granted the ability to eat! But have faith and be positive. I can't urge you enough to get your vitamin D tested to see if that will help at least.

Keep in touch,
|

replied July 8th, 2012
My sister just sent me this link. I feel like I could have written some of the same things that you have said here... I have been dealing with this since May and have been so extremely frustrated... would love to hear if you have had progress. Thanks for the link.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Hi, I know how you feel, its so annoying, uncomfortable and depressing. I find its something that takes a long while to kick and be very persistent at it. I'm better but not there entirely but that's only since the last couple of days. I have been on mottilium because they think I have IBS, food sits in the stomach longer than it should and then comes back up my throat. I can feel very nauseas at times, but the mottilium didn't really do much. I'm gladHi, I know how you feel, its so annoying, uncomfortable and depressing. I fibd its something that takes a long while to kick and be very persistent at it. I'm better but not there entirely but that's only since the last couple of days. I have been on mottilium because they think I have IBS, food sits in the stomach longer than it should and then comes back up my throat. I can feel very nauseas at times, but the mottilium didn't really do much. I'm glad to say that I'm off the tablets!

Im not sure where you are in the world but Im in Perth western Australia. I went to a place called the Tara Centre badically dealing with a naturopath and homeopathic medicine. They tested me and said I have a number of different bacteria in my stomach that is causing problems so they gave me something to deal with that. I went on a very strict candida diet, so the only thing I eat is greens and protein. I make a smoothie that consists of spinach and celery,water and cinomon to taste. I have that three times a day but not with my three meals. You can mix those smoothies up with anything green. Id love to have a bannana or apple in it but thats sweet and not good gor candida. I never overeat and slouching after eating I find us a big problem. I chew all my food so it looks like apple sauce, if that 30 times per mouthful so be it. It helps with digestion. And the golden cure I find is called gastrozyme by TransFormation. I also take there vitamin complex too Superzyme ( this also has enzymes). Of the gastozyme i take 2 to 5 of them at each meal. I also take a vitamin complex, magnesium, vitamin d and drink 2 littes of water a day.

I can tell you it won't right itself on its own. You have to be proactive. I'm not taking any acid reducing drugs because how can one digest the food. And I don't want to get heartburn from the rebound effect. But of course there are risks that come with that as well. Your body has a remarkable ability to heel itself given the right nutrition and I believe that now since I feel soooo much better. If this didn't right itself I have been pondering the idea of surgery, I do have a lax sphincter but this came out of the blue. I would only consider the link reflux management which is done in the US and Europe, not Australua unfortunately.

Let me know what's going on. It's a very lonely process and you quickly come to realize how important your health is to you. Doctors don't really help either you have to try things and experiment yourself.

Be aware that getting back to normal won't be a easy process nor cheap one but I do really recommended persistence. Find out what your body needs and give it to it. But the number one product of choice is definitely digestive enzymes. I literally do not have food coming back up when I take them, and lots of them.

Take care
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Thanks for the super detailed response. I am in California. I am going to take what you say into consideration... I am particularly interested in the TransFormation products you mention. I haven't heard of mottilium so I will look into that too. It sounds like you literally had to direct your own healing. This is one of the hugely frustrating pieces... there aren't that many options once the tests are done and have no answers.

You really do take eating for granted until you can't do it anymore!! I find too that all of the fun social pieces that come with eating are now also missing... at least I can still have a drink though Smile

All the best!!!
|

replied September 11th, 2016
Hi
Frangi,

How are you now as i am reading all conversations are back from 2012 , i am also having similar symptoms so just wanted to check if you are able to came out complete from your problem or you still dealing it. Also if the problem is solved then pls tell me what did you do
|

replied September 30th, 2012
Hey guys,

I ended up here by googling all my symptoms. I have a new born and had to stop breast feeding because I do not have enough food in my system. I also can not swallow solid food. It's really frustrating. I'd like to know if there is any progress with any of you?
|

replied September 30th, 2012
Hey guys,

I ended up here by googling all my symptoms. I have a new born and had to stop breast feeding because I do not have enough food in my system. I also can not swallow solid food. It's really frustrating. I'd like to know if there is any progress with any of you?
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....