Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

I can barely go up/down stares, walk or stretch. Knee pain

User Profile
Over the past 3 months my knee has been hurting. The pain lately is so bad I can barely go up/down stares, walk or stretch. I have pain on the right side of my left knee. It's around the knee cap area and a bit more to the right. Its kind of in a sort of groove. Also I have stopped stretching it just to make sure I don't injure it further. I have resting it and using my crutches too. About 2 weeks ago I was getting ready for bed and all of a sudden I could not stand on it or put pressure on it. The pain went all the way down to my ankle and all the way up to my hip. I was crying and nearly screaming because it hurt so bad. There are only 2 things i can think of that MAYBE have a correlation to the pain but I don't know because there is nothing else I could of done that would of injured it. 1. I have a benign tumor on the right side of one of my knees. BUT i cant remember which one. 2. Nearly a year ago I (in gymnastics) to hyper-extend, dislocate, AND sprain my knee at the same time.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2014
Pain Management Answer A46471
Welcome to e health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you may be having a serious musculoskeletal issue related to your knee joint (A tendon or meniscal tear , osteoarthritis related complications, or possible infection within the joint).

It would be highly recommended for you to consult a orthopedic doctor and undergo a few tests including a Xray and or a MRI, which will help to diagnose the underlying condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.