Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

I asked for space and he ended our 5 year relationship

We have been together exactly 5 years. So much happened. We hurt each other so much in ways I never thought we would but we grew together and only made our relationship stronger. About a month ago I felt like out relationship was put on a stop. I've been so focused in school for the past year and well it felt like we had began to drift apart. While he did his own thing, I did mine because well I thought that no matter what we would always be there because we had been through so much that how couldn't we not. I began getting very upset that he did certain things and little by little I was getting very irritated at everything he did. I don't know if I was just so stressed with school but I asked him for space two weeks ago. I felt like I couldn't deal with my emotions and I didn't understand why I was so angry and I didn't want to be this way. I felt scared that he would get tired if dealing with my attitude so I decided to ask for space. I wanted to think clearly about why I felt the way I did and I absolutely did not want to treat the love of my life like he was my enemy. He didn't understand my space. I didn't understand what I ment but space either. He didn't want space but I felt like that was the best I could do to save my relationship with him. After a few days if not talking I went to his work and we spoke. He told me it was over that he was so hurt of how I could just wake up one day and say I was tired if him. I tried to explain myself, but we mutually agreed it would be best to end it. That was the longest night of my life, but the next morning I decided I wasn't going to give up. I kept texting him, he replied. One day he would talk to me like he cared and another day he was so cold. Our fifth year anniversary was this past Sunday and we had agreed to see eachother. But he canceled on me. I was torn but I told myself he just needs his space now. I kept insisting though and last night I finally saw him and he told me it was over. He wanted nothing to do with me and he asked me to leave his house. He told me he no longer wanted to be with me because he loved me but he came first. He said I wouldn't convince him for anything because he had made up his mind and he wasn't going to change for anything even if he regretted it later on. I understand that he is hurt, but do I move on it should I just be patient. Should I keep trying to save our relationship? I feel like my whole life was taken out me. I love him but I don't want to feel like I have to convince him that our love is worth fighting for.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2014
Community Volunteer
Hi Brenda_bmt...Honey, you asked for your space and now you both have it...If this relationship wasn't right then what happened was supposed to happen...Finding this after marriage and children would have been worse...

My best advice is to move on...Stop trying to change what and who each of you are...If you ever are to get together again it will happen....Don't bother him....Live, love and be happy...I send you my love and best wishes...Take care...

Caroline...
|
Did you find this post helpful?